Chapter - 16

(play Tere bina Jeena slowed and reverb)

How did I go from loathing marriage to getting married?A question lingers in my mind slowly and vastly

A question lingers in my mind slowly and vastly.

What do I feel for her?
I don't know.

Do I love her?
I don't know.

I only know one thing if not her then no one.

Today is my mehendi it's as unbelievable for me as I am dressed up in a white kurta right now. I enter the venue rolling my sleeves up only to get surrounded by a group of older ladies. I feel puzzled right now "hayee how handsome he is" one of the ladies exclaims rolling some money over my head, "our Tanzeela is extremely lucky" highly doubtful because I'm lucky to have her "do you have any unmarried brother"

I restrain myself to stumble as aunty tightly grips my biceps trying to get my non existent brother's information. I survey my surroundings, thankfully I call Azlan next to me "yeah he's unmarried" I offer a gentle pat on his shoulder, and he gazes at me with a perplexed and inquisitive look, clearly unaware of the situation unfolding before him.

"Sadqe jaun dono pe ye bhi kitna haseen hai" our eyes widenes in unison, looking at auntie's excitement level. Azlan's confusion is palpable as aunties turn their curious gazes towards him, bombarding questions towards him "what do you to for living beta" one of them inquires her eyes bright with anticipation.

Azlan shoots me bewildered look, clearly caught off guard by the sudden interrogation and thinking ways to get revenge on me while I try to surpress my laughter knowing the next questions of aunties "I'm the CEO of a tech company" Azlan replies with a straight face, his voice narrating a hint of curiosity. The aunties nod in agreement, and their interest sky rockets.

"And do you have a girlfriend beta?" Another one jumps in. Azlan eyes widenes but responses quickly "no" he leans in to murmur in my ear "what the hell Salar! You know I'm getting married" I plainly look at him, trying to hide how much I'm enjoying this session "not until she says yes" I retort adding fuel to the fire.

"Beta why don't you come to my house someday and meet my daughter?" The aunty bluntly exclaims making me chuckle and traumatizing him. He's probably thinking of his Mon éternité.

Thankfully the aunties indulged themselves in a banter of who's daughter Azlan will get married to.

Finally I find a sanctuary nearby, as the chattering of aunties fade I think it's better to inhale some relaxation in the room. As I step into the room my breath catches in my throat and time seems to stand still, my heart pounds against my chest jolting a foreign feeling within me as I gaze at Tanzeela all dressed in her mehendi attire.

Our eyes meet and in that moment I feel like the world around us has faded leaving both of us alone.

I've traveled the entire world, met many girls but my heart has never stopped beating just after a single glance. What is she doing to me?