Chpt. 16 // Waterbound Waltz

Despite the minor setback along the way, I decided to leave Rosemary behind. I bound her reigns to the railing encompassing the twinned bridges, making doubly sure there was bountiful enough grass for her to graze and rest upon.

As I bid my steed goodbye and turned to face the Headstreet, I felt my heart longing to be with my family inside the Manor.

It was a strange feeling, being well outside the keep's safety.

I had never been locked out of the keep before.

Ah, the last handful of days had stirred up undeniable aberrations. 

Thankfully, everything was bound to settle down shortly. I needed only to find my friends. Perhaps involve my parents and discover why they had hidden the existence of Magick from me all these years, and after that - a sense of normality did not seem too farfetched.

I began my descent down the hill, towards the Wharf's lower eastern gate - much akin to my previous endeavour. However, this time, the objective was not solely to save Vhersio - but to save the lovebird duo altogether. 

Still, I was a wee bit sceptical of the Elder's intentions; I knew her willingness to aid in my search came at a cost, but I had yet to discover the circumstances under which he became indebted to Mother. As much as I wished to delve into the matter, her presence and the vast might she commanded told me off from interacting more than required. 

I hurried through the backwater streets, alarming several screeching cats and barking dogs along the way. Every few houses, another loud sound emerged into the night, echoing through the nocturnal silence as a deafening cry.

There was a look of dismay mixed with an upbeat smile, realising how many folks had pets around the area, be it for love or to catch the odd thief snooping around here and there.

I was near the gate at long last. 

I stepped foot upon the tiles near the area below the gatehouse, only to stop dead in my tracks. A glint of light emerged in the corner of my eye. 

I cocked my head, spotting a group of guards wandering around the central. 

Another man joined them over yonder, flailing his arms about and not long thereafter, the group collectively moved towards the western gate.

The crone's ruckus had been discovered.

I held back a snort, curious about the warranted response from the guard commander on duty. Yet, as much as I would enjoy the untold mystery and strange revelations that would come to mind, my prolonged presence could not be justified.

As soon as I stepped under the gatehouse, back against the metal rods, Elder Astrid flipped over a couple of barrels stacked in front of her. She had been hiding in a corner between the city walls and a vendor's stall. 

Her brows were pulled down towards each other, furrowed in discontent, "Took you long enough," she groaned, "Nearly considered returning to Crow's Perch."

Rolling my eyes, I dismissed her grumpy plea.

In a swift chain of events, we crossed through a newly-shattered gateway into the island's eastern regions. Broken metal shards lay sprinkled across the dirt road up ahead as the Elder flicked her wrist - and with another motion, her bestial mount emerged from the luscious, overgrown bushes nearby. 

"Well, well, well," the crone's voice carried an underlying tone of praise—although clearly not aimed at me. Her brows and the edges of her lips both curved upwards, betraying a sense of self-contentment. "You bore witness to Magick's volatile reaches, commanded by both a rookie and adept user - now permit me to show you what a master of the craft is truly capable of."