Chpt. 09 // Crumbled Watch

I carefully pulled Adelaide close, and the action instilled a sense of conflict within me.

Within my heart, there raged a vast storm of differing morals and contradictory thoughts; on one side, Adelaide had brutishly obliterated a group of invaders, and the display of cruelty and violence was comprehensively horrific. Yet, in stark contrast stood her goal - to save us both from lifelong servitude to some decrepit lord on the Ember Isles.

I shook my head dismissively. 

It didn't feel morally correct to write Adelaide off as some vicious murderer despite her actions. 

Not to mention, I was in no position to speak either.

I had claimed a life in a disgustingly cowardly fashion, a failed backstab that could have easily seen different results.

Reflecting further, I concluded Adelaide hadn't given in to her lust for revenge.

No, not unprovoked, at least.

I believed there was something that had triggered Adelaide into lashing out with such unadulterated ferocity. 

I tried to figure out what had prompted her but then came to a regrettable conclusion. 

Despite considering her a good friend, I knew next to nothing about her past.

I dug deep into my memories, remembering Adelaide washed up on shore near Crone's End one day, and the next, she was enrolled into the Ashwood Peninsula's prestigious Crescent-Sword Academy and quickly rose to fame as a gifted duelist among the men and few women.

Our first few spars ended in draws, but as time progressed, the skill gap grew, and I couldn't keep up with her aggressive onslaughts anymore. Vhersio had noticed and offered personal tutelage, and though I progressed quickly, I was still no match.

But in retrospect, perhaps her power was fuelled by an external factor - a bountiful source I lacked.

Adelaide let out a strained moan, and I instantly turned my attention towards her. Her eyes were still closed. Yet her body was hot to the touch; her muscles had flared up, tensing up in place.

She seemed to be hurting.

Then, I spotted a transient sheen of moonlight bouncing off a crimson streak.

There was a bloodstain across Adelaide's forehead.

Had she fallen? I pondered, believing I had caught her before she hit the ground.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed ash and dirt had been mingled up; but thankfully, I realised it wasn't her blood splattered across her face. 

No, it was someone else's.

I let out a sigh of relief, thankful we needn't fret about a lethal case of rotting flesh. 

Ah, the mere idea brought me back to Grandfather's hunting accident; with a single misplaced step, he lost his footing, tripped and cut his leg and arm wide open. Before long, his blood turned grey as Death loomed overhead.

Adelaide's face contorted, another moan escaping her throat.

Though I was concerned for her well-being, I, too, was afraid of startling her and ending up on the receiving side of her blazing fury. What if she experienced a sudden outburst like what had occurred moments ago?

For a brief second, I almost wanted to take a few steps back before I banished the paranoia.

Adelaide was my dear friend. I couldn't simply let her writhe in agony.