"Eh? But why would you do all that for berries?"

"I have a stall back in town where I sell them. It's how I make a living."

"I've never seen you around before."

"You just weren't looking. Now that I get a good look at you, you've walked past me a couple of times."

"Hm." He eats a few berries. "Hey! These are pretty good!"

"I know, right? That's my favorite kind right there."

"You have good taste."

"I wanna have a berry farm someday. Make a whole career out of that."

"You must really love berries." He shoves a few more in his mouth.

"My dad did. It... was his dream. Of course, he never got to see it come true."

"Why can't he now?"

"It's hard to have a franchise when you're dead."

"Oh... I didn't know."

"I didn't expect you to." There is an awkward pause. "You know, you really brightened up my day, Gray. Normally I spend them alone, but I got good company today. Thank you."

"Eh? You don't have anybody else to talk to? Mom? Friends? Siblings?"

"Nope."

"What happened to your family?"

"I wasn't from our town. I actually came from somewhere else, but Delliora wiped it out. I'm pretty sure I was the only survivor. I came here because I needed someplace to go."

"I had the same thing happen to me."

"Really?"

"Yeah. We're in the same boat, I guess."

"Well... it was nice meeting someone who went through the same thing as me. Not that it's good you had to, but... I don't feel so alone, I guess."

"Me either. But... unlike you... I do have friends."

"That's good, though. And I'm perfectly fine alone. I like solitude."

"If that's what you like. I'll have to stop by your stall sometime."

"You're more than welcome to. But no discounts. I need every penny."

"Darn." He has this grin that seems arrogant but somewhat attractive.

"I make no exceptions." You give him a smile, which he returns.

"I guess I'll have to bring my wallet with me."

"Yeah. You will." The both of you fall silent. "Well, I should go find berries. I didn't get as many as I needed to, and then I gave you some... I could've gotten more if not for your ice..."

"What? Did I freeze the berries?"

"Yeah. I'm behind."

"Why don't I help you?"

"You don't-"

"I insist."

"Alright, then."

The rest of the afternoon is spent with you two picking berries with light but sweet conversation. You decide to like Gray. He is nice and easy to be around. Additionally, he is very attractive. Too attractive. Whenever he moves to pick a berry, his muscles flex and you find yourself staring. Luckily, he does not notice.