Don't Run Away (Maddie)

Seeing the boy you've had a crush on for a whole two years, a smile spreads across your face. Then, you begin to run towards him, but your steps falter upon seeing a brunette girl approach him. It's her again. The girl he's been dating. You can't be mad at it: she's a beautiful shinobi, while you're a chubby little thing that is yes, a guenin, but not all that talented. She's everything you're not. She has all the things you don't.

Including the boy.

Itachi Uchiha is the one you've liked for so long. He's handsome and insanely talented. Serious, but secretly a goofy and soft person. Whenever he's with his younger brother, one can see just how kind he is. It's because of that you're so fond of him. Of course, you can never have him. He's with somebody else, and while they're still young and it's likely they break up, but even so, he'd never be interested in you.

Sadly, you watch them from around a corner, and he just looks so happy. A weak smile coming onto your face, you try to appreciate that he has someone to make him smile that way. As much as you want to be the reason for his euphoria, you also know that even if it's without you, all you want is for him to be blissful.

A tear escaping you, you run off. Itachi sees you, and is about to wave when you just disappear. He doesn't understand why you run. While he's considered a genius, human feelings have never come easily for him. So, upon seeing you avoid him like that, he's left confused and slightly hurt.

You take a breath, in and out. In and out. You try to focus on your breathing as you run, but another memory enters your mind. A painful one, too.

In the middle of the night, you wake up to the sounds of screaming. Your home is near the Uchiha Sector of the village, and it sounds like the noise is coming from there. Fearfully, you climb out of bed and run outside toward that part of the village. The sight in front of you is terrifying: dead Uchiha bodies are everywhere, and blood spatters everything. Tears welling up.in your eyes, you scan the area for the perpetrator. Then, you see him. Raven black hair, red eyes.

Itachi.

"What are you doing?!" You shout. "What is this?!"

"Isn't it obvious? I'm exterminating my clan."

"Why?!"

"To test my limits. See how far I can go. I wonder... what are my barriers? And will I ever be able to overcome them?"

"You sound like a madman! This isn't like you!"

"Looks can be deceiving, Y/n. Don't judge a man simply by how he looks."

Gritting your teeth, you yell out, "It's not based on your looks! It's based on who you are! You're the most gentle and kind soul I know! What the heck happened?!"

"Naive, little Y/n. You always were dim and slow to pick up on things; your better-judgement lacking more than anyone else in your rankings; always blinded by how you feel versus using your head. This is me, you've just been too stupid to see it." Shaking your head, you sob.

"Liar! You liar! I won't believe you!"

"Why arenyou so hung up on this? Do you really know me? Were you ever that close to me?"

"Does it matter? I can never believe that this is you. It's all a lie!" For a brief moment, he disappears, but then he's behind you with a kunai knife against your neck, drawing a bit of blood.

"Now, now, don't get too emotional. I have to go, one last family left to kill, and then I get to have the fun of taunting Sasuke. Who knows what I'll do to him?" You've always been close with the boy, occasionally babysitting him.