XIX

Tory's rice is great, of course it is. It always is. So why is he finding himself wishing it were his mum's rice? Or the restaurant's rice? He needs to let this go.
She's apologised. And she's been nothing but sweet all night. He's lit the candles and they've been here at the table for a bit, opposite each other, mostly quiet. It should be romantic. He likes romantic, and so does she. She bats her eyelashes coquettishly across the table as he takes another bite. She gives him one of her sweet smiles and he smiles back automatically. 
Look. There is nothing stopping him from having a good evening but himself, here. 
She's apologised and that's that. 
"So, how was the con?" he says in a slightly hoarse voice. "Did you enter the rep for the recital?"
"I did." she says. "I'm doing the Chaminade, in the end. And Syrinx, because I think they kill you if you don't play that. And the Doppler mazurka I liked and Mozart first movement. And the allemande from the Bach partita in A minor, of course."
"I love that one." Eddy tells her. "I was trying it on the violin the other day, it works okay."
It's only a tiny shadow that crosses her face, but it stops him from carrying on about it. 
"It all sounds great, Tory. I think you'll ace it." he hastens. "Plus there's Debussy in it, so you know I'm happy."
She smiles subtly and he exhales. 
To be honest he's dead tired. Is it all the worrying he's done? Or just how busy he's been, kind of trying to combine two full time jobs? He has no idea but he's suppressing yawn number four in as many minutes as he takes a new bite. Maybe he's getting sick, and that's why he's not into the rice?
God, he hopes not. That's the last thing he's got time for. 
But the rice goes in in the end, and he smiles at her as she gets up and gathers their bowls. 
"That was lovely Tory, thanks."
That smile, that small smile, and he knows what it means. Is she going to do that thing on the chair again that they did the other night? But as he is eyeing the very chair she is turning around to him and holds out her hand, gesturing him to follow her. Which he does, labrador style. She walks into the bedroom and closes the door behind them both, then pulls the red silk over her head. 
God, she's beautiful. Soft, light brown skin, as soft as the silk that falls to the floor around her feet. Glossy hair that flows down to her breasts, whiffs of her lovely scented shampoo reaching his nose as she shakes it back. Black lace on deep amber, just like she promised him. Black lace that has rocked his world before. She steps forward and her hands are on his shirt. 
"You look lovely tonight." she says in her seductive tone, the one that usually makes his insides melt. "I like this colour on you."
"Thanks." he whispers and he leans forward to find her lips. She kisses him back. Even her lips, her tongue are soft. Silky. 

What is with him tonight? Suddenly he doesn't feel like silk and his heart sinks like a stone in the middle of the ocean. He knows, oh fuck, how he knows the trouble that's about to hit him. And he tries, God, how he tries to feel it, tries to kiss her like he has so many times before, his hands on black lace, tries to feel the tingles spread like they always have. 
But tingles are nowhere to be found tonight and when her hand closes around his crotch he feels the little bit of shock that pulls through her. Large, brown deer eyes look up at him. 
"Oh!" she says as the hot shame floods him. 
"Um... I'm sorry." he says. His cheeks are turning crimson, he can feel them burning. "I don't know. I hope I'm not coming down with something, I'm a bit... weird tonight. I don't know. It's not you, Tory, I'm... I'm sorry."
Her face closes up in front of him like green wooden shutters drawing on the perfect, thatched cottage. The sweet smile fades and falls into straw. 
"Great." she whispers. Her bottom lip quivers softly. "I guess... I guess I'm just not... woman enough for you."
"No, Tory. Please. I'm just... very tired. And... I don't know. I hope I'm not getting sick. It's not you. Okay?"

A/N. Hello sweet readers! So... just a little note from me here on a very exciting day because... I'm going to see Twoset tonight! Soooo excited. 
Also... I'm in uncharted waters here, writing a character who is... less than nice, shall we say? I hope you're all enjoying the story though and don't worry... I promise I'm going places with this! Hope you all have a wonderful day, love from A/S <3