18

Dazai's POV

It has been two hours, I'm almost done putting all my belongings away. I would usually make him unpack my stuff for me on missions.

But he isn't here right now.

I never knew that putting away things would be so hard. Is this how tired he feels after unpacking my things all the time? Finally, I tucked the last roll of bandages in one of the drawers in my desk.

I took a look around the room. At first glance, it looks very neat and organized. The shelves were stocked with books, there was nothing piled on the floors.

If you look closely, there would be small messes everywhere. The dust bunnies under the bed, the papers stuffed in a random cabinet spilling out.

It's like life. At first glance, everyone's life seems perfect and you want to be like them. But if you're close to them, you slowly realize how much stuff they're going through and wish to be different.

Humans don't know anyone's backstory at first sight. They can only assume how privileged they are. Everyone thinks highly of others.

It's always jealousy, it's never just admiration. They never put a thought to how bad someone's past can be, they always think of how good their pasts were.

They have no sympathy for one another.

I was about to go sleep, it's almost four in the morning. That's when I realized something. I forgot something at my apartment. The white fluffy blanket.

I grabbed my keys, put on my shoes and headed out the front door. It was a little windy, the breeze of air was taking down branches and leaves as it traveled through the streets.

I unlocked my car door with a beep. Luckily, it was dark enough out here so that no police cars would bother me about not having a license yet or whatever. I usually drive in the morning too, I just don't get stopped by police probably because I'm tall.

After driving for around twenty minutes, I reached my old apartment. What do I do if he sees me? What am I going to say? It's going to be awkward. I'll just make sure not to get caught then.

I walked down the hall to the elevator. A few seconds later, the elevator came down. There was a little kid in there alone. He seemed to be lost.

"I don't know where my mom is.. I just turned around and she was gone" he mumbled. Protect the orphans huh. Does this one count? "Follow me, I'll find her for you" I brought him to the front receptionist and explained the situation to her.

"Thank you for bringing him here, we just got a call from a concerned mother. She's going to be down here in about two minutes" she smiled.

I left the kid with the lady. Then, I walked to my door number. I put the key in and twisted it. I kept the key for no actual reason, I wasn't planning to randomly show up like this.

I guess the key means something to me. We have matching keys, and matching keychains. I bought them for us a while ago. The keychains were one full star broken into halves.

Each halve was identical expect for one difference. The halves were each in a different color.

Brown and orange.

.

I thought back to that day, it was only a few days before New Years. "How many stars do you see in the night sky" Odasaku read. "The answers easy, it's none, the sky is pitch black" I replied.

Ango and Odasaku just gave me blank stares. "What? What's the answer?" I snatched the philosophy book from his hands. It was the last question.

"The number of stars you said symbolizes your friendship between each other" those words were bold on the last page. "Whatever, it's just a silly little book after all" Ango replied.

.

It was in fact not just a silly little book. It was the truth, they had both left. In different ways of course.

I thought back to another day, the night before Christmas. "Why are we here? It would've been way more fun to go to a bar on Christmas Eve. Hey are you even listening? Answer me!" he was practically screaming in my ear at this point.

"Shh.. Look at the stars!" the whole Port Mafia had left to go to a bar together. I sneaked us both out here instead of attending, I just called in sick and dragged Chuuya along with me.

He stopped complaining for a second and looked up into the night sky. There were only a few stars visible, probably because of the gas pollution.

Although there were only a few stars in sight, they shined the absolute brightest. Just the two stars were enough for me. I would prefer those two stars over a million other ones.

That's how I feel about him. I would pick him in a room full of people, I would pick him in a world full of diamonds. He is my diamond, the brightest to exist. The only one to polish me.

However, nothing lasts forever. Even stars burst when it's time. They explode into so many little pieces that just can't be put back together.

I hate how the universe works. All the stars in the galaxy and they had to choose us.

.

7 years into the future

"That piece of paper is far too dangerous to be in your hands" it was Akutagawa. His ability is Rashōmon.

The ability to cut through anything with just a simple cloth. Any cloth that's in his hands can be turned into a blade, he usually uses the coat I gave him.

"Oh? Well, looks like my entertainment will have to be cut short" he signed. Suddenly, Fyodor teleported away somewhere with a poker face looking jester.

"He's gone now, you can stop the act asshole" Chuuya gave me a rough kick to the stomach. "Oww.. keep that up and I might actually have to go to the hospital" I grunted.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————

1017 words