16

Chuuya's POV

Ding.

The elevator struck a sound signaling that I was at my destination. As I was about to step out of the elevator, I bumped into a boy roughly around my age in front of me. He was holding a bag of candy that was now spilled on the floor.

"My poor snacks. People should really watch where they're going. You almost ruined my precious detective candies" he mumbled as he was trying to pick up his candy that was spilled.

"You? A detective?" he was acting like a childish fool that has just lost their parents and has no where to go. He just looked like a super big idiot to me.

"Not just any detective, the best detective in the world!" he smiled. I was about to walk pass him when he stopped me by my coat.

"Here, you don't believe me? After I show you my ability, you'll be begging for my autograph!" he pulled out a case and put on a black pair of nerdy glasses. He started looking at me and examining me with interest. It was like he was staring me down.

"Hmm.. I don't know for sure what you're up to but it's bound that you'll get hurt today. Don't worry though, everything will work out in the end" he was clearly very focused.

What is he? A fortune teller? Pfft. As if I'll ever get hurt.

.

The closer I got to my apartment room, the clearer I could see the wide open door. Did I forget to close the door or something? I made sure to lock the door before leaving though.

"Dazai?" the sound of my voice echoed through the empty room. I searched every room trying to find him. Living room, no. Bedroom, no. Bathroom, no. I made sure to knock on the bathroom door first just in case he was in there. Of course he wasn't.

In what used to be our bedroom, the clothes and all his belongings have been stripped from the closet. It seemed to make more sense to me now.

He left me.

So I guess that's how it is huh? Not even a note? I should've seen this coming. Did I really think someone would be able to deal with me for the rest of their life?

I have been abandoned many times before, why does this time feel so different? I opened my closet door and took out a cardboard box that was hidden under some towels.

Pétrus 1989. It's not the best way but it's still a way for me to forget what happened today. I've been dreading to opening this bottle, guess tonight will be the night.

I couldn't care less about getting a glass of some sort. I took my wine opener from inside the box and popped the corp off. I sat on my bed and took a sip. The first sip felt amazing, it was like I was refreshing all my memories.

It's my fault for caring too much. It's my fault for overstepping. It's my fault for not knowing my place. It's my fault for opening up. It's no one else's fault but mine. Don't victimize yourself, that just shows how weak you are.

I've already had a few bottles at the bar, and another bottle here. So why do I still feel a strong feeling struggling to unravel in my chest?

I want to talk to him. I want him to hold me in his arms. I want to be with him. I want I want I want. I want too much sometimes.

My face was feeling weird, I had a burning sensation in my eyes and my throat felt sore. That's when I realized a tear started falling from my eyes.

Maybe that little kid was right. This is how I get hurt. It's ironic to think that someone like me would get hurt over such little nonsense.

We were just work partners, nothing more, nothing less. Stop crying over him, it's pathetic. I gave myself a few mental slaps, followed by some actual slaps.

I could see my reflection in the empty glass bottle. My face was getting puffy from all this stupid crying. My head was feeling a little dizzy now. As I was about to dispose the bottle, I collapsed on the floor and my vision went blank.

.

7 years into the future

He was in my arms, looking so lifeless. This sight gives me flashbacks to the old days, when he was always fucking playing dead or doing his usual magic tricks.

That stupid Russian was smiling like a fucking maniac. "So, what are you going to choose?" he asked. "Choose? What are you talking about?" I questioned.

"I see, this is why Dazai was the brains of 'double black'. I don't see why it was such a fuss, you guys really aren't that big of a deal" I would of actually punched him in the face if Dazai didn't tell me not to touch him earlier.

"Do I really need to spell it out for you?" he held up one finger. "Firstly, if you save Dazai by bringing him to a hospital, the swarm out there is going to wipe out everyone else" he explained.

"That doctor of yours wouldn't be able to heal him because of his nullification ability, so you would need an actual hospital" he's right, the butterfly psychopath wouldn't be any help because of Dazai's stupid ability.

He held up a second finger. "Secondly, if you choose to clear that swarm out there, you're going to need your corruption or whatever. Without that nullification ability, it's practically suicide and Dazai will die from no one helping him" he sighed.

As much as I hate to admit it, in this case I can't really do anything without Arahabaki. There were tons of the monsters, some of which I had even seen seven years ago. I could recognize that water frog face from anywhere.

"You better make your decision quick, the poison will get fatal in about ten minutes. The nearest hospital is seven minutes away. I could've gave him an instant kill drug, but this is just so much more fun to watch" he shrugged.

I have three options.

Save him.

Save the world.

Save myself.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————

1051 words