Chapter Fourty Nine

Michael's POV

Trevor was now gone too. I couldn't believe it. It had only been a couple months, but it seemed like an eternity. Surely that crazy bastard wouldn't just hand himself in that easy. After all, even I was never able to rid him from my life, despite changing my name and moving away. But on the off chance he did, that means we could go back to Los Santos, right? They were only after him originally.
I felt as if I had lost everything. Things between Trevor and I were tense after Harper's departure. I tried explaining what happened to him, but he acted as if he didn't believe me. It was valid, though. I had fucked him over quite a few times. I got his other best friend killed. I don't blame him one bit for siding with her.
There was a knock at the door. I groaned, sitting my beer down. I was officially out of liquor.
I opened the door.
"May I come in? I have some information I would like to discuss with you in PRIVATE."
Lester put emphasis on that last part. I quickly stepped aside.
"Sure, come in. Nobody's home at the moment."
I knew the information had to be good for him to hobble his way down here.
He sighed, helping himself to the couch.
"Haven't you ever heard of a broom and dustpan, Michael? Geez, Trevor's house was cleaner than this!"
He rolled his eyes.
"Hey! I've been going through it, cut your shit, okay?"
I snapped back.
"Easy now, I don't have to tell you any of this."
I sighed.
"Fine. I'm sorry, go on."
Lester pulled a laptop out of his bag and began pecking away. He turned the monitor to me.
"Hayley Scruggs? Who the hell is that?"
I asked.
"This isn't a definite, but last week I finally got ahold of Harper's files from the FIB. They were simple and to the point, no blatant details were present in them. That led me to believe that they faked her execution. Which is why I began digging some more."
He clicked on the name, revealing what looked like medical records and work history.
"You see, Michael, this profile was not added until they posted Harper's death profile. There are a few similarities, let's see."
He began searching, then pointed.
"See? Same age, same birthday. Same middle name."
My heart skipped a beat. Could she actually be alive? Did they throw her in witpro? Why would they spare her, though? This has to be a coincidence.
Lester continued.
"Zancudo Avenue. It looks like this Hayley person owns...Trevor's house? It was retitled about 7 months ago to her name. Now we know Trevor was here 7 months ago, and I highly doubt he would give up that old piece of shit trailer."
He clicked on the medical records, then paused.
"Oh uh, interesting."
"What? What is it? Talk to me, Lester!"
I urged.
"Well uh, Michael, it looks like this Hayley girl was last seen at the doctor for a pregnancy check up. She's about to pop any minute!"
I paused, then chuckled.
"Lester there's no way that's Harper! She was with me 9 months ago."
Lester stared blankly at me. Then it hit me.
"Well uh, yeah we did mess around right before all that shit happened. But she's always been on birth control! There's no way I could've gotten her pregnant."
Lester turned to his computer screen, pulling up the Hayley girl's initial visit.
"It looks like this girl tried to get on birth control, but was told she was pregnant."
He then typed a few more lines.
"And it looks like the last time our definite Harper picked up her prescription was...a little over a year ago."
My heart sank. This couldn't be right.
"No..there's no way."
I threw my hands to my face.
There's no way this could be the same girl. But everything he was saying seemed similar to when Davey threw me in witpro. But why wouldn't she tell me? Is it because of the whole Amanda misunderstanding? Maybe that was her..but me? Another kid? How is that even possible! I'm old!
Lester clicked one last time, spinning the laptop around.
"It's her. Look. There's a picture on her health profile."
My heart sank. That was definitely Harper. I didn't know how to feel. I was happy that she was alive and well, but still in shock that we actually had a family together, and this whole time I had no idea. And she's had to go through this pregnancy alone, with the FIB on her tail I'm sure.
"Would you like to know what you're having?"
Lester asked.
I shrugged, throwing my hands up.
"Go for it."
"You're having a baby girl, Michael. She's due at the end of this month."
I stood up.
"I have to get out there!"
"Michael, I'd advise against that. While we are sure this is her, who knows who is living with her. She could've married up with an FIB agent for all we know. And we don't know how she got out of being executed. Maybe she killed Trevor when he came back. Maybe she gave it up to them. We don't know where Michael De Santa stands with the FIB, Michael! You could get killed! Or better yet, she could shoot you upon arrival because she's probably still convinced you cheated!"
"It's a risk I'm willing to take, Lester! Thats my family out there! I know my other kids are safe here. I don't have to worry about them. But they're in fucking dope country Blaine County! There's no telling what will happen to them, witpro or not!"
I quickly gathered my necessities, swinging the door open.
Lester mumbled something under his breath, but I couldn't quite hear him. I stormed over to Ron.
"Ron, you have to help me! We found Harper! Long story short I have to get back home!"
"Why would I help you, Michael? You're the reason she left in the first place!"
Ron spat.
"You listen here, buddy!"
I stomped towards him. He began to shake like a leaf.
"I said what I uh, said, Michael. Besides, even if I wanted to help you, Trevor took the plane! All we have is the boat."
"Well give me the fucking keys!"
Before he could protest, I pushed him down, grabbing the key ring from his belt loop.
I made a beeline to the dock, throwing an extra gas can on the boat. The engine started with a purr. I descended into the ocean, praying that the map I found aboard was accurate. Boy, this was going to be a long journey.