Chapter Eleven

I sat down at the table as Michael finished off his coffee.
"What's your living situation?"
Michael spoke up.
I sighed.
"Well, I'm doing a rent-to-own apartment situation. The apartment is in Rockford Hills, not to far from here. We can go visit if you'd like. It's not perfect, I just moved in yesterday."
Michael nodded.
"And I see you got you a car. You look nice in it, by the way. How much is that?"
I blushed.
"Paid off. It was on sale."
Michael smiled.
"Smart girl. You gotta start somewhere. Listen uh, take me to whoever your landlord is. I need to have a word with him."
Pure confusion struck me, but I obeyed his commands as if his gun was still pressed to the back of my head. We climbed in my car and headed to the office.
~
"Say what? This girl just moved in 24 hours ago and you're wanting to pay her home off? That's a whole 80000 dollars!"
"Just do as I say, alright? I know what I'm getting myself into."
Michael pulled out a stack of money, handing it to the clerk. The man carefully counted the bills as Michael stood there impatiently. I just stared in awe. Why would he do this for me? I stole his car for fucks sake. And I almost caused turmoil for him and his wife.  Why is he helping me so damn much, out of the blue?"
The man finished counting the bills and carefully placed them in the drawer, pulling out a deed and handing it to Michael. He passed it off to me, a wide smile growing upon my face.
"Thank you.."
I whispered, tears starting to fall.
Michael pulled me into a half hug and walked me out before allowing me to melt into his arms. This time, he accepted the affection.
"Why did you do this?"
I mumbled, my face buried in his chest.
"Well, that's a discussion for later. Let's go see your new home, shall we?"
~
I showed Michael around the small, messy apartment that was now my own. I still don't understand why he's being this way. Surely the sex wasn't that good. Instead of spoiling his wife and kids, he's spoiling me, which is kind of fucked up.
"You hungry? I can order pizza, or make you something if you'd like."
I asked, sitting down on the cheap yet new couch. He took a seat beside me, chuckling.
"You don't have to wait on me hand and foot. I'm fine for now, thank you. But listen.."
He paused for a moment, my heart pounding in the silence.
"Listen, uh..Amanda and I have decided to split ways. She's taking the kids in an effort to brainwash them I guess. I want them to be able to get by comfortably, but not to the extent to where she's blowing money on all these dudes and not taking care of Tracy or Jim. Because everything is going to them in the divorce, I didn't want all of that money to go to them. So I gave it to you, who I knew would benefit from it."
I continued to sit there, my mouth agape. My dry throat finally crackled in an effort to speak.
"W-was it me? Was it me that caused this?"
Michael chuckled, shaking his head.
"Hell no, what we did that night was between us 3, remember? None of this is your fault. I want to help you."
"But Michael, if they're getting everything, that includes the house, right? Where are you gonna live?"
"Franklin said I could crash at his place for a while if needed. If push comes to shove, I can stay with my buddy Lester, or..oh god..Trevor."
He shook at the thought.
I sighed.
"Michael, why don't you just stay here? I mean, you bought the place, after all. I'll sleep on the couch."
Michael thought for a moment, scratching the back of his head. I knew it wasn't the luxury he was used to, but it was something.
He sighed, his expression softening into a smile.
"I guess that wouldn't be too bad. I'll take the couch, though. Thank you, Harper."
Butterflies fluttered away within my stomach. Oh my god, he's moving in. Damn it, why do I have to be like this? It's nothing like that...it's just a roommate agreement..