Chapter Thirty Eight

Harper's POV

I woke up to a figure towering over me. I jumped back, quickly wiping my eyes in hopes that they would adjust.
"Good morning sweetheart."
Dusty smirked.
"What the fuck are you doing in here?!"
I spat, attempting to sound unphased by his presence.
"Haven't you heard of conjugal visits? I figured since they won't let you out of this place, I could talk them into letting me in here"
He proceeded to tower over me, unbuttoning his jeans.
"We're not conjugating nothing in here!"
I shoved him back, causing him to lose his balance. He landed on the concrete floor with a thud.
"Oh so you come back to Los Santos and your grandpa and all of a sudden you want nothing to do with me? After all the shit we've been through?"
Dusty stood up, brushing his clothes off.
"And you didn't fucking tell me you had a girlfriend!"
I snapped, getting up in his face.
"And you didn't tell me this whole fucking ordeal was a set up to kill me! Bitch, you're going down!"
I gasped as he picked me up, slamming me against the wall. I winced, attempting to push him off of me and fight back.
I managed to loosen his grip enough for me to sucker punch him in the jaw. He snarled, spitting blood. He then pulled out a gun from his waistband, pointing it at me.
"I don't have to keep you alive. I'll catch that hillbilly bastard myself if it means getting to kill your brat ass."
"Enough in there. Miller, your time is up, now get out! We have a new inmate coming through."
He rolled his eyes, shoving me to the ground once more and stomping out.
"This isn't over, Harper."
After he was out of sight I shivered. He was the worst mistake of my life, even more so than Trevor or my ex husband. I realized right after that he was simply a rebound for my longing of Michael.
"Inmate, in, now."
The guard shoved another female into my one man cell. I raised my eyebrow in question as she brushed her locks of brown hair out of her face.
"Hannah?"
I questioned.
She slowly looked at me, giving me a big smile.
"Long time no see, friend."
"Why the fuck are you here?!"
I questioned.
She sighed.
"Listen. We're being monitored in here. Furthermore, if I explained it now you would probably choke me to death, so let's promise to catch up after we're out of here, okay?"
She extended her hand. I wearily shook it.
Something still felt off, but at least I had somewhat of an ally in here.
Hannah lowered her voice.
"At 13:00, the guard for this floor goes to lunch. He will be gone for approximately 45 minutes. There is a guard who is supposed to be listening from the next tier, but the guard on duty today is a slack ass. Every guard has a key card in their pocket. Each keycard is for a different part of the building. But any card is better than being stuck in this area where we are vulnerable. What we have to do is find a reason to call him over, swipe that keycard off of him, and slowly over time work our way at the locks to this cell. After that, depending on the color card, we can evaluate which turn to take next. For the next 3 nights, we have the older third shift guard. He sleeps from 11:30-2:45, so there is our window to escape and evaluate."
"How do you know all this?"
I raised a brow in disbelief. She smiled.
"I know people. Seriously, we will exchange stories later, Harps. For now, we have to strategize."
"Whatever you say."
We sat there in silence for a few minutes, then I couldn't resist any longer.
"Michael and Trevor?"
"I knew you'd be worried. They're safe, don't stress. Last time I talked to them they were pretty pressed on finding you."
My heart fluttered, then sank.
"Hannah, Trevor can't come here. They're wanting to lure him in. That's why they're holding me. As soon as he steps foot inside this building, we all are history."
"I know. I tried to warn him of that possibility. But with both of us in now, there will be no stopping him, it's Trevor, after all."
"You're not wrong. That boy is as stubborn as an ox, and Michael isn't that far behind him."
I chuckled a little.
"Precisely. But they've both been through worse shit before I'm sure. They've got this. We just have to help them a little from the inside."
I sighed.
"I really hope they've got this. And what about Dad?"
She froze, her face turning beet red.
"Well, what is it?"
I prompted her again.
"Harper..he's..he's dead."
I felt as if I had been shot in the chest. Sure, he had abandoned me in the middle of an FIB hunt for the girl who tried to kill him, once again. But, he's my dad.
"Listen, I'm sorry. I really-"
She stopped as I held up a single, shaky hand. I felt a few stray tears running down my cheeks. I stayed silent for several moments, head in my lap. She sat down beside me in the floor, remaining silent but intermittently stroking my back for comfort.