Chapter Twelve

It had been almost three months living with Michael. As he promised, no funny business had taken place, although I wouldn't be opposed to it. I had gotten a job at this comic book store in town. It didn't pay the best, but it had flexible hours. However, Michael had set some money aside during his divorce, so he helped with most of the bills.
I decided today was the big day. I was going to change my name back, despite me not being a fan of my biological father. I mean, I never knew the guy. From what my mother said, he was super quiet, yet an overall bad man. He had been shot and framed by his previous girlfriend, which led him to leave my mother due to commitment issues. My mother was a stripper and met him during his days of ferrying all the strippers around.
Still, a dead beat dad is better than a cheating ex husband, I suppose.
I asked Michael to go with me for the heart wrenching moment, in which he happily agreed.
"Alright, so just to be sure, we're changing it from Harper Marie Sawyer to Harper Marie Speed, is that correct?"
The woman behind the counter asked.
I nodded, biting my lip in the process.
"Yes, that is correct."
"Alright Ms. Speed, your new identification card and birth certificate will be sent to you in the mail. That'll be 200 dollars.
I went to swipe my card, in which Michael beat me to it. Damn him, he hardly ever lets me pay.
The woman smiled and handed me a receipt. I walked out of the court, stopping and glaring at Michael.
"What?"
He asked.
"You're gonna have to quit paying for my shit before you end up having to come off of retirement."
Michael chuckled, bringing me in for a half hug. I greatly accepted it.
"Harper, don't worry about that. Davey helped me stash this part away before the divorce was finalized. On paper, I have nothing. But in reality, I'm well off.
I sighed, shaking my head at the stubborn ox.
About that time Michael's phone went off.
He sighed, assuming it was Amanda, but then his eyes softened.
"Hey Jim! I'm going for a drink..What?! The yacht's been stolen? You're insane! Alright...I'm coming for my boat!"
Michael pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing.
"My darling boy is in trouble. I can call you a cab if you want, I'll be right back."
"No, I'll come with you."
I argued, not really knowing what I was getting myself into.
Michael sighed.
"Whatever, if you insist, get in the car."
I climbed into his car and we sped towards Pacific Bluffs.
"Lesson number one, don't ever have kids."
Michael grumbled as he drove insanely through traffic.
I peered down at the floor, one for the motion sickness I was enduring and two because I had honestly wanted kids at one point, with my ex husband. But maybe Michael was right. Maybe children were overrated.
"So..where is this boat at?"
I broke the brief silence.
"Somewhere on the western highway. Little shit's been hijacked."
"Ain't you worried?"
I asked, questioningly.
"About my boat? Yeah."
I rolled my eyes. Damn Michael, that's a really fucked up way of putting it. I mean, his only son is on that boat, and he's only worried about the boat.
"Oh, there it is! That's my boat!"
Michael slammed the brakes, making a sharp left. I grabbed the door to stabilize myself.
"Your boat's in a fucking hurry, Michael."
"Yeah, well we'll catch em."
"I have a plan."
I unbuckled my seatbelt, readying myself to jump.
"You get up close, I'll board the boat."
Michael thought for a moment, as if he was going to protest, but instead he just nodded. I pulled my gun out of the glove box and threw it to him. I sighed, making my way onto the hood through the convertible top. I took a few steps back, closed my eyes and jumped, barely grasping the boat. I pulled myself up, and immediately was manhandled by a thug. The man tried to push me off, but I switched my balance and got behind him, shoving him off the yacht.
"Stop throwing assholes at me!"
Michael yelled.
"Sorry!"
I called back, continuing to grab the men so Michael could shoot at them, just hoping he wouldn't nick me in the process.
"Who are you?!"
I jumped, snapping my head around at the voice I recognized from my repossession. That must be Jimmy.
"Listen, it's a long story but-"
Jimmy then got swept by the boom of the yacht.
"Hang on!"
I called, grabbing a guy and throwing him off as Michael pulled up to catch Jimmy.
Jimmy finally let go, barely landing in the car. I sighed a sigh of relief as more assholes filled the boat. Michael was now directly behind it once more. I held my breath, jumping onto the hood and making my way back to the seat.
"All a fucking board? Now let's stop this ship from sailing!"
Michael roared, gassing the old sports car. The car stalled and began smoking.
"That doesn't sound good."
Jimmy exclaimed.
"That's the engine. We're not chasing shit."
I panted, still numb from adrenaline.
"My boat! God damn it!"
Michael cried.
"Hey, at least you still have your son."
Jimmy sighed.
"I think I saw a sign for a shop back that way."
I mentioned, pointing to the right.
Michael grabbed his phone, sat his GPS and headed that way, the car barely sputtering along the freeway.
"My boat.."
He sighed, in pure devastation.
"Stop with that shit! All you care about is your God damn boat! I could've died! I know I fucked up but literally the boat is all you give a shit about! You're the reason why I can't get a fucking job! All we do is scream at each other!"
Jimmy yelled.
"Shut the fuck up, Jim! Your dad wouldn't of saved your ass and killed his car in the process if he didn't love you. You don't understand how much hard work went into getting that yacht. That's why he's fucking devastated."
I growled, unsure of why I took that punch at Michael personal.
"And who are you? His new wife? You're the reason mom and him split up!"
"Not even close, dude. Now shut the fuck up before I throw you out of this moving car!"
"Dad!"
"Hey..we're here."
Michael pulled into the Los Santos Customs.
He sighed, getting out.
"I'll call a taxi."
"I'll wait on the car."
I volunteered.
Michael nodded, handing me the cash.
"You sure you can handle it?"
"Yeah, I'll meet you back at the apartment after I drop him off."
"Thanks, Harper."
Michael gave me a half smile and walked over to wait on his taxi.
~
After waiting for almost an eternity, the car was ready to be driven back. I jumped in the driver's seat, waiting on Jimmy to squeeze his fatass self in shotgun.
"Alright, am I taking you to Vinewood Hills?"
"Yeah! Wait, how did you know?"
He questioned. I sighed.
"Long story. I repoed your car and your dad almost shot me. Sorry, by the way."
Jimmy's eyes widened.
"So you're like Franklin. That's how he and dad met."
I nodded.
"Similar. We actually met through Trevor. I'm not gonna go into details on that one."
Jimmy chuckled a bit.
"Yeah, Uncle T can be crazy. So...are you two?"
"Dating? Hell no. Just letting him crash at my place until he can get on his feet again."
I decided to stretch the truth and omit the money part.
Jimmy nodded.
"Maybe mom and dad divorced for the best."
I shrugged.
"I mean, from what I heard, they probably did."
"Do you play Righteous Slaughter?"
"My ex husband did. I played a bit with him, but not much."
He nodded.
"You don't even look old enough to be married."
I chuckled.
"Yeah, shit happens, I guess. Anyways, we're here."
I pulled into his driveway, glancing around to make sure Amanda wasn't out watching.
"Listen, don't tell your mom about me. She'd only freak out considering I am a girl. But seriously, nothings happening. Don't worry."
Jim nodded, opening the door.
"I gotcha. If you ever wanna hang out we can. And you can call me Jim..or Jizzle...-"
"Jimmy is fine for me. Thanks."
I chuckled.
"See you around."
I waved him off as I sped out of his driveway and headed to the apartment. I parked the car and headed up the stairs, turning the key and letting myself in.
Michael was sitting on the couch, watching some movie.
He turned around and smiled.
"How was it?"
I shook my head, laughing.
"He's something else, that's for sure."
"Listen."
Michael motioned me to sit down and I obeyed.
"You did an awesome job today. I just wanted to let you know that. You're badass, you know that?"
I blushed, shrugging.
"It was nothing, really."
Michael started to scoot closer, then his phone rang.
"God damn it!"
He got up to grab it, leaving me to wonder what the hell he was about to do.
"Yeah, she is? So what? You don't even know her."
I held my breath, thinking I was gonna have to righteously slaughter Jim for telling Amanda about me. However, when Michael returned to the living room, he shook his head.
"I have a friend that wants to meet you. Don't worry, he's no harm, he's actually crippled. His names Lester, Trevor may have mentioned him before. I guess he caught wind of us earlier and thinks you're badass too or something."
Michael chuckled, scratching the back of his head.
I smiled, shrugging.
"Cmon, he can't be as crazy as Trevor."
Michael nodded, slowly standing up and cutting the TV off.
"Alright, he has a factory down town. I can drive there.."

(A/N: Recently this story has sprang in popularity! Thank you guys so much! I will be updating both this story and the sequel to Hidden Identity as fast as I can. Updates will probably be later in the week (Thursday-Saturday) due to my work schedules. Also, some of you may get the reference already but I will explain Harper's name a little better in the next chapter. Thank you guys again, love you all! :))