Chapter Twenty Six

Trevor's POV

I opened the door, glancing over at Harper who was asleep on the couch. I gently nudged her awake, causing her to jump.
"Hey hey, easy, it's just me."
I reassured. She yawned, sitting up and wiping her eyes.
"So...they're gone?"
"The Alturists ate good tonight. Tried to even take Ron too."
She giggled, then sighed.
"What about Dad? Where did you take him?"
"To Lester's to talk business. Don't worry, sweet cheeks. He has no idea you planned this out."
She softly smiled.
"Thanks, Trevor. I owe ya one."
"No honey, I owe you more than one. Trust me."
I sighed, taking a seat beside her.
"Look, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for burning your house down. I'm sorry for ratting you out to Mikey. I'm sorry for trying to get you to sleep with me on multiple occasions and I'm sorry for just showing up at your apartment and showing my ass. Harper, I feel like a lot of this situation is my fault. You're better than the life of crime, Mikey was right."
"Trevor.."
Harper engulfed me in a hug. I tensed up, but returned the gesture, tears streaming down my face. She pulled away, wiping away the tears. I longed for this attention, something I never had as a child. Something I haven't had since Patricia left.
"Hey..it's okay. I chose this life, T. It's not your fault. None of it is, I promise."
I sniffled.
"So..we're cool?"
She chuckled.
"More than cool, T. But don't get any ideas or I'll shoot your dick off."
"Ooh you came back even more feisty. I love it."
"Oh and thank you for not actually putting gasoline or God knows what on that rag."
"Just water sweet cheeks. I wouldn't do that to you."

Harper's POV

Trevor and I laughed and carried on for a while. I told him about how I murdered Dusty's girlfriend and about those stupid kids trying to pass off meth as spank. What seemed like minutes was actually hours that went by. This was a Trevor I had never experienced. For once he wasn't just trying to get in my pants. He actually seemed to appreciate my presence.
"So, I guess I should take you back home, huh?"
Trevor asked. My heart began to pound.
"I don't think I'm ready.."
Trevor raised an eyebrow, and I began to explain.
"I mean he fucking left me, Trevor! Sure, I was in the wrong for lying, but he literally lived the same life. And maybe if he was there I wouldn't have gotten kidnapped and dragged to LC. How do I know he isn't back with Amanda by now? How do I know he actually, truly gives a shit if I was so easily disposable before?"
Trevor sighed, lighting up his pipe and coughing in between hits.
"I understand where you're coming from.  Me and Mikey aren't exactly on talking terms right now either."
I looked up at him, enthused by his statement.
"Can I ask why?  I mean, I know he lied about being dead and all to you but I thought you guys worked this out."
Trevor sighed, laying his pipe on the table.
"Well, you know how I said we should break Brad out of prison back when we were fucking with Merryweather?"
I slowly nodded, taking a sip of beer.
"Well,  turns out Mikey lied about that too.  You see, before you reached out we had a plan to come and find you.  I asked Mikey if we could get Brad in on it, and...well...he came clean.  Turns out that the asshole wanted me shot instead, but his little butt buddy FIB agent had terrible aim I guess.  Sure, I knew about Mikey getting shot and faking his death, the witpro bullshit, trying to protect his family, but Harper..he was my best fucking friend...and he tried to kill me...and killed my other best friend.."
Tears once again started to stream down his face.  I quickly engulfed the man in a hug.  He cried on my shoulder as I slowly stroked his back, attempting to calm him.  I sighed, taking a deep breath.  Anger filled my veins, but I attempted to remain calm for Trevor's sake.  It was now apparent that Michael was a pathological liar, on top of being a selfish asshole.  I breathed in, the smell of meth, sweat and beer filling my nostrils.  It was oddly comforting at the time.
Trevor finally pulled away, attempting to compose himself.
"You okay?"
He softly asked.  I nodded, assuming he had caught me in a gaze.
"Yeah...I'll be fine."
I stood up, grabbing the burner phone and sliding it in my back pocket.  I headed to the front door.
"I guess I should get going.  Thanks again, Trevor."
"Hey wait a minute."
His words caused me to freeze, turning back around.
"Where are you gonna go?  You just said you weren't going home.  You expect me to fucking let you wander the streets when I just got you back?  Sweet cheeks, have you forgotten the dangers of Sandy Shores?"
I sighed.
"Trevor, I'm not going to invade your privacy.  You've done enough for me.  I'll be fine."
"Like hell you will!"
Trevor grabbed me, making me gasp.  The old Trevor's ways were starting to show through, as the flashbacks of him standing in the burning debris that once was my house engulfed my memory once more.  I didn't fight back, however.  I knew he wasn't going to kill me.  I was surprised, but not scared.  Liberty City had grounded me a lot from where I started.  Trevor huffed as he picked me up bridal style.  I expected him to try something sexual, ready to kick him in the dick.  However, he just headed to his bedroom and roughly threw me on the bed.  He exited the room, and returned with a blanket, throwing it over top of me.
"Sleep."
He commanded.
"We'll figure out this shit tomorrow.  For now, just fucking sleep."