Chapter Four

"What the fuck, Trevor?"
I screamed as Trevor jumped into the old truck, blood splattered upon his white tee.
I quickly sped off as sirens bellowed in the distance.
"What? Man wouldn't pay up so I had to take matters into my own hands."
Trevor grinned, motioning to the small bag of money he acquired.
I sighed, slamming the brakes and taking a sharp turn into a field. I drove over a few hills until the cops seemed to lose us. I got back on the main highway, shortly pulling the Bodhi into Trevor's sorry excuse for a garage.
Trevor stepped out of the truck, throwing the bag of cash to me. I sloppily caught it, staring between him and the bag in awe.
"Just a little bonus."
Trevor replied.
"Told ya I'd take care of you. By the way, you make a damn sexy get away driver."
"Oh, shut up."
I rolled my eyes as he chuckled.
I thanked him and officially clocked out for the day, heading to my rust bucket of a home. I unlocked the door and stepped inside.
I threw the bag as well as my belongings onto the mattress and got in the shower, hoping I could wash the memory of Trevor's blood stained shirt and that poor cashier's lifeless body away.
I didn't understand how I was so good at this trade. I'd been to a few races with my ex husband and observed the driving styles of different racers. I'd had to lie my husbands way out of many money frauds with the police before. I'd definitely never been this deep into crime, however.
But..I honestly enjoyed myself today. I enjoyed the envy of the strippers. I enjoyed being in charge of something. I enjoyed the adrenaline behind the wheel, juking the high speed chase. I felt needed again. Perhaps I was finding my new sense of self through this crazy employer.
The cold water was my cue to step out. I carefully wrapped my wet body in a towel and wrapped another around my hair. I made my way to the closet and pulled out some clothes, just a simple black tee and some army camo leggings. I threw them on, ran a brush through my long hair and sat down on the mattress, snatching up the wad of cash and the money bag from earlier. I went through straightening the bills, turning them all the same way and putting the bigger bills on top. After I organized, I decided to count.
I couldn't believe my eyes. I recounted again and again. Surely enough, 6000 and some change was there. This had to be a mistake. I quickly grabbed up my phone and called Trevor.
"You miss me already?"
The Canadian's tired voice bellowed through the static. I sighed.
"Trevor, did you mean-"
"Yes, Harper, I meant to give you that much money. Now quit complaining before I change my fucking mind."
With that he hung up, leaving me to stare at the wad of cash in awe. This was just from one day of work. I can only imagine what a mere month will do for this place.
I slid the money into an envelope, hiding it in my pillowcase for the time being. I would ask to borrow Trevor's truck to take it to the ATM, but he seems a little moody at the moment.
I laid back onto the rugged pillow, pulling the covers tight over me.
I couldn't help but to think of the Michael guy. I know he was way older..and married..but something about me just craved the fantasy of us being together. He didn't seem interested, but he was a nice guy. I mean, hell, if his wife cheats on him anyways what does it matter?
My thoughts were interrupted by a knocking on my door.
Ugh. What now?
I threw myself out of bed and headed towards the trailer entrance.
"Can I help you?"
I grumbled as I swung the door open, instantly stepping back. It was the weird paranoid neighbor guy with the hat.
"Uh yes, actually you can."
The man stepped closer to me, his height almost matching mine. He stared into my soul with his beady eyes.
"What we're you doing with Trevor?"
The man sounded hurt, yet almost threatening.
"What do you mean? I work for him, dude."
I asked perplexed.
"Yeah, that's what they all say."
The man paced back and forth in front of the door, then abruptly stopped as if he had finally gathered his words.
"You better not hurt Trevor. Trevor is my best friend. You're not gonna be the next Mrs. Madrazo."
"Who the fuck-you know what? Dude, I don't even fucking know you. You've never came over here in the month of me living here to be like 'hey neighbor' or 'welcome to Sandy Shores.' So..what makes you think you can just walk up on my lawn accusing me of fucking your boyfriend or some shit? He's not my fucking type. I'm just his secretary. Get the fuck away from my house!"
I motioned to the road, in which he backed up slowly.
"This isn't over. Trevor's not gonna replace me with some horny kid."
With that, he spun around, only glancing back over his shoulder once.
"I'm Ron, by the way. It's not so nice to meet you."
"Harper."
I blandly stated as the man scurried off like a mosquito. It was obvious he was delusional and high on something. And boy, did he love Trevor. I rolled my eyes, shutting the door and hopping back into my makeshift bed, drifting off to sleep and hoping to dream some more of Prince Charming..