Chapter Thirty Four

Harper's POV

"There you are."
I smiled over at Dad, who quietly took a seat by the fire. He nodded towards me, causing me to drop the smile.
"Where did you head off to? You know we can't be wandering around too much or they'll find us."
Hannah questioned.
Dad just shrugged and lit a cigarette.
"Hey!"
Trevor stood up, smacking the cancer stick from his hand.
"The lady asked you a question."
Dad looked up at Trevor, giving him a look I'd never seen before.
"I'm not an idiot, you bastard. If I wanted to answer, I would have."
"Hey mother fucker! You should be sucking my dick for sparing you. Hell, you could've easily been food for the altruists along with your arrogant buddies."
Trevor narrowed the distance between him and Dad. Dad quickly stood up, pulling out an SMG and pointing it into Trevor's chest.
"Let's get this straight. I don't owe you a damn thing, punk. All I asked was you take care of my daughter. I could've cared less if you let me die.
"And you would've never been in this situation if you would've actually raised your daughter!"
"Shut the fuck up! Both of you!"
Michael forced his way between the men, causing Dad to put his gun down. They stood there like hungry pit bulls staring at a stray kitten. Finally, Dad broke the stance, walking off into the darkness. I stood up to follow.
"Dad, wait!"
He stopped in his tracks, turning around to face me. He remained silent.
"What is this about, Dad? You can talk to me."
Dad sighed, peering off into the night sky.
"It's nothing, okay?"
"It's obviously something."
Then it hit me.
"It's about that girl, isn't it, Dad? The one who left you to die?"
Dad didn't answer. Instead, he turned around and continued to walk away.
"I fucking knew it. You must've found her. And now you're leaving me, again! Just like you did Mom!"
Tears welled in my eyes. I should've known this was going to happen.
"What about Lester and your job? What about the FIB being after me?! Do you even give a fuck, Dad?!"
He glanced back for a moment, then continued on his way.
"I'm sorry.."
He mumbled, so quiet that the night wind almost overtook the sound. I stood there, dumbfounded. He's really leaving me, again..for the girl who ruined everything for him...
I glanced back in the direction of the fire. I knew the crew was eagerly awaiting my return, especially Michael. They were all in this out of their love and respect for me. Yet in this moment, I felt alone. I was orphaned once again. How are you supposed to feel after that? I looked over in the opposite direction. Dad was nowhere to be seen. I took one last look at the tiny illumination of my family and began walking West. I just need to clear my head..

Michael's POV
"Geez, it's sure taking Harper a long time to round up that bastard."
Trevor grumbled, attempting to hide his concern.
I took a drag off my cigarette, crushing it into the dirt.
"Yeah, it's been what, an hour and a half, maybe? And it's dark. I'm getting kinda worried."
"Don't be ridiculous, guys. She's with her Dad."
Hannah yawned, slowly making her way to her feet.
"She'll probably be back by dawn. I'm hittin the hay."
Truth nodded, flicking his joint to the ground as his eyes rolled circles in his head.
"I suggest you guys do the same. They'll both be back. They know better than to meddle with the FIB."
The two hippies headed in the direction of their home, and I looked over at Trevor, who remained silent, despite the subtle winks and waves directed at him by the young girl.
I sighed.
"You're worried too, aren't ya?"
Trevor shrugged.
"It's a sensitive subject for her. I mean, it's her fucking dad. Maybe I should have killed him."
"Nah, I think you did the right thing, T."
I took a seat beside him, earning a weary glance before he accepted the gesture.
"So this is our lives now, huh? Living on a pot farm with a bunch of hippies. Hiding from the FIB."
He pulled out a joint, flicking his lighter as the smell of sour diesel illuminated the campground.
I sarcastically chuckled.
"Yeah, I thought for sure we were in retirement this time."
"You were in retirement, ya old fart."
Trevor playfully pushed me as I pretended to fall, throwing my arms up.
"Hey now, I just try to enjoy the finer things in life at my age, that's all."
"Well I could tell that by your choice in women. You went from a gas station calendar prostitute to a literal bombshell."
I felt my face turn red as I shrugged it off.
"Yeah, and I see you're digging the hippie chicks now."
"She's an exception."
Trevor softly smiled.
There were no formal apologies, but by our shared moments, I felt the forgiveness ten fold.
"If she's not back in a couple of hours, I say we look for her. We have to give them time to talk it out, father daughter shit ya know?"
Trevor threw his hand around while talking as if he was preaching to a church. I nodded.
"Definitely. But for now, who wants a beer?"