Chapter Fourty Six

Michael's POV

I can't believe it. She's gone. She went back to turn herself in. I just knew it.
I sighed, slamming my empty shot glass on the table.
After all we've been through, this is it. The bad thing is, she's going to go down thinking I cheated on her. I would never cheat on her. I loved her-I still love her! I wouldn't have made love to her the night before all this if I didn't love her!
I shouldn't have listened to Trevor. I knew bringing Amanda back around would be a mistake. I was trying to be the bigger person. I shouldn't have let her lure me in. And to think that the kids, or at least Jimmy, had an idea as to what was about to happen and didn't even warn me. That was foul. This was worse than Jimmy stealing my boat, worse than him stealing my car and worse than having to rescue Tracey from those crazy motherfuckers.
Harper was the love of my life. I couldn't explain why. I know she's a hell of a lot younger than me. But we just connected. And I regret walking out of her life. I now understood why she lied to me about her shenanigans with Trevor. She was scared to lose me, much like she lost her dad. And I left anyways. I'm a true asshole.
None of this would have ever happened if it wasn't for me walking away. Or me calling the FIB instead of just manning up and talking to her. I caused her downfall. I don't know how I can live with myself.
A knock on the door brought me back to my pained reality.
"Go away!"
I groaned, pouring myself another shot of Macbeth.
"Open the fucking door you pig headed bastard!"
Trevor yelled.
"I said go the fuck away!"
I downed my shot.
Trevor mumbled something under his breath, then kicked the door in, grabbing me by the collar.
"What the fuck, Mikey?!"
Trevor pushed me back, letting go of my collar.
I threw my arms up.
"I didn't do anything, T! Amanda and the kids set me up. I tried to tell her. She wouldn't fucking listen."
I sighed, pouring me another shot. Trevor ripped the bottle from my hand and threw it. The sound of shattered glass echoed through the empty home.
"Thats not gonna fix anything! You need to fly your ass out there and fix what you fucked up!"
He scowled.
"Why do you care!? She was my girlfriend!"
I protested.
"She was my best friend, Mikey! She was a hell of a lot better of a friend than you ever thought about being!"
"That's just because she could shoot a gun and you wanted in her pants!"
"That's it!"
Trevor reared back to hit me.
Franklin and Lamar rushed in, Franklin stepping in between us.
"Aye aye aye chill the fuck out you two! Fighting ain't gonna solve shit!"
He shoved both of us back.
I sighed.
"Guys, I didn't cheat on her. Amanda set me up."
"I mean it can't be no worse than crazy hillbilly man over here fuckin' with 2 bitches at the same time."
Lamar commented.
Trevor glared at him, but resisted as Franklin held up a hand.
"Listen, I didn't come here to see y'all motherfuckers at each other's throats. This is a new start for us. And I know Harper, she will find a way out of it, even if it's not with us."
"Yeah, but I can't help but be selfish and want it to be with us."
I sat back down, pulling out another bottle of whiskey.
"Hey pass me that when you done."
Lamar held out his hand. I poured me some and reluctantly handed him the bottle.
Franklin looked me in the eyes.
"Mikey, get yourself together man. I bet she'll be back. This can't just be it, especially after y'all's, history, dawg!"
"I guess we will see."

~

Harper's POV

I stopped by Trevor's house, smiling a bit as I opened the door. I never would have thought the smell of death and burnt plastic could be missed so badly.
I hid the bag under his bed, just in case I ever made it back 'home.' I know I could always go back to my apartment, but that would just be asking for trouble, if I wasn't in enough trouble already.
I made my way to the police station, slowly opening the door. I walked in and put my hands above my head. The clerk looked confused.
"Can I uh, help you?"
I sighed.
"I'm here to turn myself in. I'm Harper Speed, one of the two girls who escaped prison and ran from the FIB."
The clerk's eyes widened as she picked up the phone.
"One moment please."
She shakily dialed a number, anxiously tapping her fingers against the desk as it rang.
"Yes sir, I need two deputies up here ASAP, as well as agent Smith with the FIB. We have one of the escapees wanting to turn herself in. Okay, okay thank you sir, bye."
She put down the phone, refusing to make eye contact with me. All of a sudden I was being manhandled by two big police officers. They handcuffed me and I willingly followed them to the interrogation room.
Moments later in came Agent Smith. He smiled.
"Welcome back, Harper. I knew you couldn't run away forever."
"Cut the shit, Smith. I'm here. I surrender. I'm tired. Just put me out of my misery."
He raised an eyebrow.
"Oh? Where are the others?"
I raised my head up.
"The others?"
I was unsure of which part of the crew he was referring to.
He chuckled.
"Oh you know, the bratty traitor that you escaped jail with and our prime target, Mr. Philips."
My throat felt as if it was going to close up. They weren't worried about Mikey nor Franklin. They were worried about Hannah and Trevor, really just Trevor by the tone in his voice. I couldn't rat them out. There's no way.
"I uh, I killed them."
I said quietly.
"You what?!"
I lifted my head with fake confidence.
"Yeah, I killed them. Took their valuables, dumped their bodies for the sharks. What's it to you? Now execute me already."
I closed my eyes. Once again nothing happened. I opened them to see Agent Smith smiling from ear to ear.
"You don't realize how big of a breakthrough this is for us. We've been unable to kill that bastard for years. Thank you, Ms. Speed, for your courageous efforts. Your crimes have been forgiven as of today, and we now would like to grant you with witness protection. You will now have to come up with a new name, and we will take care of the rest."
My mouth fell agape.
I can't believe that just worked.
"So, what will your new name be?"