Chapter 56

Abby followed Dominic out of the bedroom and down the hall. The nerves had kicked in as she began to realize she was about to face the man she'd been told to always avoid. She was feeling very apprehensive.

Dominic stopped and turned back to her. "Do you need a moment?"

Did she? Yes. More like an eternity. She didn't really want to meet him, but she'd had a week of facing her fears and this was just another one. How much her life had changed in the last few days.

But Abby wanted to go back to the way it had been before she'd come to Oregon. Back in Pennsylvania. That was where she'd been at her happiest. With Matt, Liam and Finn. Mostly Matt.

She took a small breath and shook her head. "I'm fine."

Dominic studied her for a moment, then nodded. She kinda liked him, even though he had taken her from Matt, but he'd still been kind to her. She wondered what had happened to the three men who had originally taken her. She hadn't seen them since that had happened.

He stopped in front of a closed door and looked at her again. "He's in here."

She nodded and stepped up beside him. She was so nervous. More nervous than she had been meeting the King.

Dominic suddenly turned her towards him. "You need to breath. You're going to start hyperventilating."

Was she holding her breath? She hadn't even been aware if she was. She stared up into Dominic's blue eyes, seeing his concern. She took several deep breaths, aware of him watching her. "Let's get this over with."

He nodded and opened the door.

The room was dark, with only a bedside lamp lighting the space. It smelled of death, making her recoil. She could see a man laying on the bed, though he wasn't facing her. His breaths were shallow, and she could hear a slight rattling sound.

"Alpha?" Dominic said, approaching the bed, and lightly touching the man's shoulder.

Abby stood back, waiting and watching. She wanted to leave the room before he could look at her, but she held her ground.

He turned his head towards them and his gaze settled on her. She couldn't look away. He looked like her brothers, Liam and Finn with his brown hair and hazel eyes. "Diane," he whispered.

"It's Abigail," Dominic corrected him.

Cassius stared at her and she stared back at him. He wasn't what she'd expected. Not by a long shot. She'd had him visualized in her head as a robust, large man who could easily crush her. But this man was frail. When Dominic had said he wasn't going to live much longer, he'd been right.

"You're so beautiful," he said softly.

She watched a tear trickle down his cheek and her heart broke for him and she stepped forward. She didn't know what to say to him and was glad Dominic was still there.

"Where have you been?"

She looked at Dominic.

"She has been a rogue up until a few days ago when she met her mate," he said.

"Is he an Alpha?" Cassius asked.

"No," she said.

"He's a member of Regal Eclipse," Dominic said.

Cassius glanced at him. "Liam?"

"Liam is there," Abby said.

Cassius smiled then frowned. "I made a lot of stupid decisions, and I hurt a lot of people. People are dead because of me. Your mother was wise to keep you from me, but you grew up without us, without your brothers and without your mother. I am glad your brother went against me. But why did you leave the pack?"