Chapter 42

Caleb sat on the chair in Nick's office after dinner, his legs stretched out in front of him, as he studied the white board hanging on the wall.

"Are you sure you want to?" Nick asked him, as he too looked at the board.

"Yeah, I'm sure. You need the help," Caleb told him.

Nick shrugged. "I'm making it work."

Caleb gave him a look. "Nick.."

Nick looked back at him. "Fine. I think you're just itching to get out of the house some."

Caleb gave him a smirk. "I love my grandkids, and I'm looking forward to great grandkids.."

Nick frowned at him.

"..but sometimes I just need to get out for a bit. I'm almost eight hundred years old, Nick," Caleb reminded him.

"Well, old man, I'll see what I can do," Nick said.

Caleb shot him a glare.

"How's Ian?" Nick asked.

"Fine so far, but Aria wants him inducted as soon as possible for her own state of mind," Caleb said.

"I'm not surprised. If it was Noelle, I'd want the same. I don't think I could sleep."

"I can agree with that," Caleb said. "I was really concerned about them for a bit. If something were to happen.."

Nick watched him quietly. He knew that Caleb was thinking about Sophia and her tragic death. Every time this situation crept up, he knew that's where Caleb's mind went.

Caleb suddenly stood. "I'm going up to my apartment."

Up to Charlotte. Nick nodded and watched him leave.

Caleb walked out of the office quickly and got on the elevator. He let it go for a moment before he hit the stop button and stood there, staring at the wall, his mind in the past.

He saw her coming down the grand staircase in that green ball gown. He saw her face, all full of happiness and promise for the future. She'd been so beautiful. And then she'd been gone, her life stolen from her in seconds.

And he'd spiraled, completely out of control as the depression had set in. He'd thought so many times about ending his life. He'd planned it out, only to have his blond haired beauty be presented to him. A gift, she'd been. A slave. A human woman to distract him from the terrible choice he'd been about to make.

He hadn't wanted her at first. Well, that wasn't true. The first time he'd seen her, she'd been presented to him naked. He could still remember that moment very vividly. Her pale soft skin, her full breasts, her long legs. She hadn't been afraid of him either. She should have been, but she'd been drawn to him like he was to her.

But he hadn't wanted another mate. He'd tried to stay away, but he couldn't. He'd found himself returning to her bed over and over again.

Caleb?

Her voice in his mind pulled him from his runaway thoughts now and he knew she was tuned in to his emotions. What are you doing?

Reading.

No surprise. She loved to read. Are you alone?

Yes. No one's here but me.

That was surprising. It seemed like someone was always there. Charlotte, I want you to wait for me in our bed.

Okay.

He could feel her excitement. He'd been an idiot, waiting so long to mark her. Sometimes he wanted to go back in time and punch his younger self. I prefer you naked.