Chapter 78 - Alvarez Pt. 14

Three streaks—one clear, one gold, and one with wisps of wind—darted at the massive black dragon who halted their assault in the skies while the warship, Christina, barreled onward into position.

"What a nice little meal coming my way," Acnologia said. "This gives me yet another chance to let you watch your friends and loved ones die, Kai!"

Kai sped up, catching up to Jellal. Acnologia swiped at him but a strong burst of wind slapped his hand down and Kai was able to kick Acnologia in his thick neck before Jellal swooped in with another punch.

Kai felt his magic almost leave him and he blasted away, same as Jellal. Iggy stayed above them, summoning hurricane-force winds.

Acnologia tried to absorb that magic but she remained just far enough away to stay out of that range. The winds she generated, though, buffeted him about, throwing him just off course as he tried to move. He couldn't fly properly.

Kai smiled. Not much, but if it could inhibit his movements, then they had a static target, something much easier to deal with.

Jellal and Kai attacked Acnologia once more, who launched a Dragon Roar at them. Kai skirted just on the periphery of it before reemerging in Acnologia's face, sword in hand. He slashed down at him but Acnologia lurched out with his neck and munched down on one of Kai's wings.

Kai kicked out of there and Jellal returned, attacking Acnologia from behind.

Acnologia spun around but Iggy used her magic to try and force him back into a different direction.

"I tire of this puppetry!" Acnologia shouted, and with a terrifying swoop of his wings disrupted Iggy's magic enough to break free of her control and attack.

She dodged with graceful ease, but the hulking mass of Acnologia would prove her downfall as he swung out with his tail and struck her hard in the side. Kai managed to fix his wing and attack, slicing at the tail. Acnologia dodged it and almost punched Kai so hard he would've had his back shattered but Jellal knocked the fist away.

Acnologia clasped Jellal with his hand and easily drained his magic, gaining a faint golden glow.

Any damage he'd taken from the fight, and maybe from even the fight before, had been nullified.

Iggy flew away, and Kai followed. Jellal roared out in pain, his bones probably shattering while in Acnologia's grip. Kai glanced over his shoulder.

He had to free Jellal, but, how could he get in close enough to do any significant damage? He'd have to cut off Acnologia's fingers at least.

Iggy surged forward again, moving out even farther. Kai raised an eyebrow, and once more checked over his shoulder at Acnologia, who closed in on him. A golden beam of light formed in his mouth. Iggy got even further, then stopped, and the winds shifted to swirl around her.

Kai grimaced. Got it.

Momentary bait. No issues.

Kai halted and launched himself at Acnologia, who fired the beam right down at Kai, distracting himself from the cat-like bullet that cut through the sky like a lance and struck him straight in the chest, blowing the air from his body and forcing him to let go of Jellal.

Then, from above, a beam of light flashed before it surged down and rammed onto Acnologia with enough force to level the countryside—a Jupiter cannon.

Acnologia blasted back a little bit, more hurt by Iggy's attack. Kai held Jellal by the wrist while the two suspended in the air. Christina flew back out of range again.