Chapter 31 - Tenrou Island Pt. 1

"Master, did you say two days?" Mirajane asked, poking him on the top of his bald spot.

"Yes I—oh..." Makarov pursed his lips. "Yes, I forgot. That was the original date, but after all this happened with Edolas, we'll be pushing it back just a bit! In one week's time, we will be heading to our sacred land on Tenrou Island and conducting this year's S-Class Wizard Promotion Trial!"

The crowd erupted in cheers. Kai's stomach tightened. Erza told him last year that he'd almost been nominated, but his inability to properly control his Dragon Slayer magic was his downfall. Makarov had told him as much, confident that his raw strength was almost there.

Had he made enough of a push this year?

Iggy floated up and landed on Kai's shoulder, patting him on the back of the head. Erza met his gaze and smiled at him. Kai balled up a fist.

"We'll have eight contestants this year, though only one of you will be able to claim the title of S-Class wizard!" Makarov exclaimed. "This year, our contestants are:

"Natsu Dragneel!"

Natsu roared with excitement, as did Happy. Gildarts showed him a wide grin. Lucy cheered for Natsu as well.

"Gray Fullbuster!"

Juvia leaped in the air for him, spewing water everywhere while Gray just nodded his head. Erza did the same back at him. Kai strode across the room with Iggy and clapped him on the shoulder.

"Juvia Lockser!"

The woman's jumps and cries ceased and she looked around, quite confused.

"Elfman Strauss!"

More roaring, this time from a lot of men in the room, as Elfman prematurely declared an easy victory that made Kai laugh.

"Cana Alberona!"

Once more, a lot of the men cheered. Kai nodded, giving Cana a thumbs-up as she pursed her lips, very little excitement in her face. It'd be her fifth year of trying to win.

"Freed Justine!"

The members of the Thunder Tribe clapped for him, as did the rest of the S-Class wizards. Freed definitely deserved it; he was the reason the Battle of Fairy Tail held in the favor of the Thunder Tribe for so long.

"Levy McGarden!"

Team Shadow Gear jumped for joy on that one, chanting her name as Levy sheepishly accepted her turn. Another one that definitely deserved it; besides Makarov, there could be no doubt that she was the smartest member of the guild.

"And Mest Gryder!"

People clapped but not as loudly. Iggy's hand fell from the back of Kai's head and Erza just smiled at him. Even Gray turned to him, a bit confused, and looked ready to say something but Kai held him back.

Strangely, he locked eyes with Lucy in the crowd, who was also a bit surprised but held a firm look of determination in her gaze. As if the next time, the two of them would make it.

"Each of you has the opportunity to bring a partner along with you but that partner cannot already be an S-Class wizard," Makarov stated. "You will have one week to prepare for the trip and choose your partner. Report to Hargeon in one week's time and then we're off! If you're late, you're disqualified! Now, go get ready! This will be the greatest challenge you've yet to face, and if unprepared, don't be surprised if you wind up dead."

Rather than send a chill through the crowd, many of the contestants muttered their excitement. Makarov stepped down but not before shooting a look Kai's way, almost prompting him to chat. Erza, Mirajane, and Gildarts all wandered into the crowd to give their explanations.