Chapter 36 - Tenrou Island Pt. 6

"ACNOLOGIA!"

Knowing that Makarov was preparing for battle, that Gildarts stood with him, and that his family was running in fear, Kai surged his power all the way up. He instantly took to his Takeover form, brandished his blade, and blared his aura around him.

Someone called for him to stop but he couldn't. Kai sliced through the sky at blinding speed, searing across Acnologia's chest as the dragon didn't cry out in pain but with a laugh. Acnologia spun around to face Kai as the boy charged in.

"Ice Dragon Talon!"

Acnologia held a hand out and stopped Kai as he slammed his spell into Acnologia.

"You infant!" Acnologia roared, and uppercut Kai with his other fist, sending Kai shooting into the sky.

Just as he prepared a blast, though, Makarov, in his Giant form, slammed Acnologia, wrapping him with both arms.

"Hold him there, Gramps!" Kai shouted, his voice no doubt echoing around the island. "We can kill him! This is our only chance!"

"Get out of here!" Makarov roared.

Acnologia howled a laugh as Kai descended at an even greater speed than his ascent. "Bring it, boy, show me what my pathetic sister taught you!"

"Don't you dare talk about Kairi like that!" Kai flipped end-over-end before he had himself in a proper position. "Dragon Slayer Secret Art! Hail of the Azure Blade!"

His sword gleamed a brilliant bright blue as he stabbed it down at Acnologia, and what was a tiny beam turned into a massive one, supercharged with all of Kai's power. It ripped through the sky, drawing a laugh from Acnologia.

"Pathetic."

With a single stroke, he slapped away Makarov and the blast from Kai.

"What?" Kai shouted.

"Oh! Good job, that stung a bit, Kai, maybe you weren't so worthless after all!"

He reached up to try and catch Kai, but that's when Gildarts flew through the air and forced Acnologia's hand away and Makarov rounded on Acnologia, punching the head of the dragon hard, exposing his back. Kai was still falling.

"I can skewer him," Kai muttered. "I can run him through his dark heart and put an end to this right now!"

Compared to the draconic form his uncle had taken, Kai was puny. But that didn't matter. This was the moment he and Kairi had waited so long for. The moment he'd lived his life for. He worked alongside the two most powerful wizards he knew for it. He could not fail.

Makarov struggled to grasp Acnologia's head as Kai continued his descent when a shadow befell him: the dragon's wings. Kai arced himself away, now off-target from landing on Acnologia's back. The dragon twisted its long neck around and bit Makarov hard on the shoulder, forcing the old man to let the beast go.

Acnologia swung around and slammed Kai to the dirt with a single punch. He went to punch again but Gildarts stopped him, forming a crater around Kai.

"What are you thinking?" Gildarts gasped.

"We have to save everyone!" Kai exclaimed, pushing himself back up, despite how wobbly his legs got.

"You made me a promise, Kai," Gildarts said. "That you wouldn't go after him until you could prove you were stronger than me."

Makarov charged at Acnologia once more and the dragon ripped his hand away from Gildarts to lock with Makarov as another tiny person charged toward Acnologia, little bursts of flame streaking behind.