Chapter 68 - Alvarez Pt. 4

Everyone kicked into high gear to make what Mirajane was calling, "the most anticipated event in guild history" happen. While Bisca and Alzack's wedding was also a long time coming, everyone had been waiting for Kai and Erza to settle down every since they first popped on the scene as kids.

There wasn't much to do in terms of arranging the guild hall to be in a "reception" state. Mira, Lucy, Wendy, and Levy scurried Erza away to get her ready while Kai was taken away by Evergreen, Iggy, and Reedus to get him looking spiffy as well.

Natsu, Gray, Gajeel, Lily, and Elfman helped Makarov arrange the guild hall. Mavis, it seemed wasn't all for this to go down, especially on the eve of battle, but she came to Kai while Evergreen was busily helping him with his hair.

"Thank you," Master Mavis said.

"For what?" Kai asked, wincing as Ever pulled tight on his hair.

"My rival will not have her husband looking like some bum," she muttered. "Plus...I can control how good you look before it's Elfman's turn."

"What was that?" Iggy asked.

Ever blushed and pressed on.

"Thank you for what, First Master?" Kai asked.

"For popping the question when you did," Mavis said. "It isn't providing a good distraction like I thought you were trying to do. It's...well, it's bringing the guild together about as well as any war could!"

Kai smiled. "Well, thanks for saying that. I hope you don't mind, but I was kind of hoping that Master Makarov would marry us?"

"Do you mind if I help the flower girl?"

"I absolutely don't. It'd be an honor for you to be a part of our special...night."

Mavis clapped her hands together and pranced about the room, vanishing out of it to no doubt tell Makarov or Erza the good news.

Evergreen at last backed off from Kai's hair to allow Reedus to step in and help with the finishing touches. Iggy stood by the door, not letting anyone—particularly Natsu, Gray, or Gajeel—in under any circumstances.

"What, probably an hour or so left?" Iggy asked rather nonchalantly. Evergreen fled the room to go check on Erza.

"Probably."

"Gives you plenty of time to think of a wedding party."

"We're throwing one right now."

"No, moron, I meant who is going to be in your wedding party. You going to have any groomsmen, Erza gonna have any bridesmaids?"

Kai pursed his lips. "Oh, I didn't even think about—"

"Evergreen!" Iggy shouted down the hall. "Ask Erza about the wedding party." She nodded, no doubt in response of Evergreen receiving and understanding the message.

Kai sighed. That initial rush of adrenaline from asking Erza quelled and he started to settle down a bit more before the anxiety of actually going through with this crept in.

But anxiety about what?

She said yes. Erza, the woman of his dreams, said yes to marrying him. What, was she going to turn around at the altar? Was she going to pull a fast one on him and leave?

A bit of the worry came from the looming Alvarez threat that everyone was notably not bringing up. Perhaps they all thought of it, too. Master Mavis certainly was. Kai saw her strategizing just as everyone broke apart.

In fact, she came by after Reedus finished up, about a half-hour later, as if to say something but didn't, and just sauntered off.

Reedus backed up. Kai did indeed look better, more put together. His overall appearance wasn't that different, but there was just something about him that looked more mature, more formal. Perfect for Erza.