Chapter 75 - Alvarez Pt. 11

Irene the Sage Dragon stood as tall and mighty as any Dragon that Kai had ever seen, maybe even bigger than Kairi. She didn't have the pure muscle mass of someone like Acnologia but she had a firm build and humongous wings.

Searing red eyes glared down at the minuscule forms of Kai and Erza, both positioned in defensive stances as if they would even help against a dragon.

"This will be incredibly difficult without Wendy to enchant my magic," Erza said. "I only have one trick up my sleeves, and it's a long shot."

"At this point, everything is a long shot," Kai said. "Do what you need to do."

He couldn't get Iggy out of his mind, though. Nor could he come to terms with killing Irene; not out of a desire to spare her life, but the Enchantment she placed on Iggy intwined their lives. If Irene fell, Iggy would die.

Wendy was doing her best to undo the enchantment, or curse, or whatever it was. Until that time they had to defeat a dragon, but not kill it.

Kai adjusted his stance.

"I'll do the first few attacks against her," Kai said. "That'll buy you some time to do what you need to do."

"Be careful," Erza said. Kai nodded and winked at her.

Irene slammed her foot down and the ground broke beneath Kai. He propelled forward, turning his arms to icy wings to gain more speed as he closed the distance between himself and his mother-in-law.

Irene laughed at his attempt, and perhaps just at how small he was in comparison. She swung a surprisingly fast talon at him. He leaped over it and shot into the air toward her.

"Ice-Make: Copy!"

Irene almost clamped down on Kai but he created a perfect clone of himself and leaped over the attack again, not almost level with her face.

"Ice Dragon Scattering Strike!"

He cupped his hands and then launched a beam at Irene that she blew apart, but the magic coalesced and sliced down at her, though it appeared to inflict minimal damage. Kai flipped back to avoid her strike. It held enough power to easily shatter every bone in his body.

"I know the secrets of your Dragon Slayer abilities, yet you continue to use said magic against me? You're nothing but an arrogant, little fool!"

Irene prepared a dragon breath to obliterate Kai, who was essentially prone in mid-air.

"Stay out of this family's business!" Irene roared and launched the attack.

From beneath, though, a blur flashed through the sky and slammed into her lower jaw, veering the attack far off-course. Irene snarled and glared down at the ground.

Erza stood in her Giant Armor, her great lance that shattered the skies above Galuna Island still ripping through the skies above. Irene snarled.

Kai adjusted himself and used the winds to fall down toward Irene, dropping right onto her back.

He summoned swaths of magic into his hands, slamming them together over his head.

Irene spun around to try and shake him off but he locked himself to her back with his magic.

"Ice Dragon Storm!"

Kai leaped back and launched the attack at her. Thunder brewed in the skies above before the magic struck Irene hard in the back. She roared and ice slithered all across her back.

Something hissed in the wind behind him and he wasn't fast enough to dodge her tail which struck him in the arm and sent him flying to the ground.

He slid hard against the ground, tumbling to a stop against some rubble. Kai punched the ground and managed to get to his knees again.