Part 36

Most of the happiest days of my life so far has had you in it, Niki.

Everytime I smiled, you were nearby, whatever I did, you smiled.

That little nonsense dance during class, that time we were on a field trip.

Is it so wrong to fall for someone you know is inlove with somebody else...

Life is so unfair, isn't it.. These things might be the smallest moments for you, but for me, these are my most precious memories.

Brett, sitting at the shore, staring at the sunset thought to himself as he watched the others play in the water.

Niki, the girl she liked, playing with the boy she likes. Must be nice to have someone fall for you..

Brett looked up, gazing at the passing airplane up above the sky.

The sun sets beyond the horizon, the breeze gets stronger as the water rises slowly.

"Let's go back to your house, Fenrir. It's getting dark." One of the boys recommended.

"Suree, call the others over there." He pointed to the group far and deep into the ocean.

It may seem obvious at this point, but I waited for Niki. Using the "I want to be at the back" excuse once again to do so without anybody noticing.

"They are using the shortcut.." Brett pointed out.

"Wanna follow them?" The pretty girl asked the flustered boy.

"Do you?" I asked, caring for her choice.

"Bro.. you can't answer a question with another one." She chuckled. Embarrassment crept up on my face.

The two went silent and walked, deciding to not follow the others use the shortcut but rather stay on track back home.

"They always leave you alone don't they." Brett claimed, remembering the other times they went out together.

"I think that makes the two of us, seeing as you are with me." Niki joked as the pair slowly walked.

I can't.. tell her how I feel.

I want to maintain this relationship... what if she separates herself after I tell her the truth.

I can't lose her..

"Wait!" Niki exclaimed as Brett unknowingly leaves her behind.

"Wanna buy soft drinks?" Niki asked.

"Glad you asked.." Brett smiled once more, his birthday was quite fun.

Present
Y/N POV

Where are they?

"Please, let me send out another group." Y/N said to the others but they did not agree. The situation grew more fierce as the group is yet to be seen.

Just like that time.. on your birthday five years ago.

Flashback
5 years ago

"Where are those two?" Win yelled as they waited for the arrival of the birthday celebrant.

The group had readied a surprise party for Brett and Niki was the decoy. However, the decoy seemed to be working too well.

The group waited for the two to get back. Unbeknownst to them, they were just buying ice cream at a nearby AICE store.

Hope they have a good time together.. Y/N thought.

Brett POV

"Coke is the best.." Niki stated after gulping the soda. Brett stares at her, mesmerized..

"Pepsi can't be matched." Brett retaliated, teasing the girl.

"If you say so.." she grinned back.

"I like you." Brett mumbled.

"I noticed.." her smile and voice softened, the two stopped walking and looked at each other in the eyes.

"Was I that obvious?" The curious and surprised boy asked.

"Kinda." Niki laughed out loud.

"You know that I like someone else... right?" She pointed out, awkwardly.

"Yeah, I even tease you about him." He chuckled

"So, what made you like me." She teased with a captivating smile.

"I just noticed that.. my most memorable memories lately has had you in it. You were always there, smiling at me." The boy reminisce.

"Was I? Hahaha.." Niki reached her hand out to Brett.

"Well then... friends?" She added.

Brett nodded and accepted the handshake.

The two went home to Fenrir's abode to be surprised by the group with party poppers.

The celebration was quite fancy. There were food of all the sorts for everyone.

Brett looked around to see everyone eating happily except for one person, his best friend.

Brett approached Y/N and handed her a plate.

"Eat." He smiled to the smitten girl.

They sat down together, conversing as they ate.

"You confessed?" Y/N exclaimed after Brett had a slip up.

"Yeahh." He embarrassingly chuckled

"How'd it go?" She asked like a cute puppy.

"Fine, I guess."

The party continued a huge success. Everyone was happy and full, but all good things come to an end.

It was time to go home. And home they went.

Years later, Niki went official with the boy he likes. Turns out they had liked each other for a while.

Brett has more or less moved on, happy for the new couple. Unknowingly, his best friend, Y/N, had taken a liking to him.

The two always bickered whenever they could and everybody saw the chemistry between them.

Aya, Nath, Paye, Fenrir, Win, Chloe, and the others noticed the two and started to tease them both.

This slowly made Y/N and Brett grow feelings for each other. Brett, still thinking about Niki.

Imagining Niki instead of Y/N whenever they hang out.

To be continued....

Does Brett still think of Y/N as Niki? And what happened to Niki during the remaining years before the world went to shit?

Does Brett only date Y/N to fill the gap that Niki left all those years ago? Or is their love truly sincere?

Everybody on this chapter is based on a classmate of mine, even Niki, except for Chloe.