Morally Grey

You braced yourself for the door to fling open and Kaiyans large brooding frame to cross the threshold, however another softer knock came from the hallway instead.

Raising an eyebrow, you looked to Iliyas in curiosity and noticed relief flooded his face. Why was he relieved? The young king seemed to stand up straighter and went to open the door as you crossed the room so as to not be visible from the person in the hallway.

"Hira?" Iliyas asked, surprise prevalent as the door swung open silently, "What's wrong?"

"These pricks in the kitchen aren't listening to orders and I'd rather them find out the hard way that creme brulee, you know 'burnt' and 'cream', actually does need cream for you to be able to make it." Hira's tense and angry form came into the room, gesturing wildly to coincide with his rant.

"And another thing-" The head chef turned around to say something to Iliyas but his speech stopped as his eyes landed on you. The color seemed to drain from his face instantly and those dilated brown eyes darted from Iliyas to you.

"Hira, it never ceases to amaze me how much you pale in this woman's presence." Iliyas laughed as he closed the door, "You curse at me like a sailor, make Kaiyan run errands for you, and yet she is what you draw the line at?"

"He is smart then." You offered, but that did not seem to help at all.

"You've forgotten too easily about what she did to your mother and father." Hira's voice was cold and hateful, yet you smiled at him lazily.

"Some of my best work, it's a shame he does seem to forget it." You agreed and looked at Iliyas with mock sadness, "And I worked so hard to uproot his lineage too."

The chef shifted closer to Iliyas. Was it an act of protection or an act of fear? You weren't quite sure, but it was foolish nonetheless. For now you were docile.

"She doesn't mean it Hira, she's just trying to get under your skin." Iliyas dismissed the tension with a laugh and strode back to his desk. He quickly jotted something down on a piece of paper and handed it to the chef. "If the kitchen fools want to try to do things their way, just post this on the door for them to read. You are the head chef, and the one I've decided to preside over all menu preparations."

Hira maintained eye contact with you as he slowly grabbed the paper from the young king, "Thank you."

"As for you," Iliyas turned to face you, a broad smile on his face, "I believe I will need your opinions somewhere else. Come, follow me."

He brushed past a concerned Hira and opened the door, pausing in the threshold for both of you to follow him out. After a glance at Hira, you moved past him as well, noticing the tension in his body, and entered the glittering and desolate hallway.

You didn't wait around for either of the men to move, but the two pairs of footsteps behind you indicated that they were trailing, although you were at a loss as to where you were meant to go. The training grounds maybe? A tacticians room?

Instead, Hira swiftly left the presence of the two of you, opting for a servants corridor, and plunged the walk into awkward silence. Iliyas came up beside you and set into a swift pace similar to your own, but let nothing about your destination slip.

The two of you wound down the stairs and to the corridor near the gardens and guest rooms, each with a team of maids frenzied and hastily preparing for all of the guests.

"Where are we going?" You finally asked, annoyed at the silence.

"Right here." He answered as he stopped in front of one of the guest rooms toward the end of the immaculate and freshly cleaned hall.