Chapter 50 - Lost Battles

"Here." Girisha's grandmother shoved a thousand rupees into her jacket's pocket before asking her to leave the train's compartment. Girisha didn't have any energy to refuse even for the formality of it. She fixed the currency notes in her pocket and kneeled before her grandparents seated on their berth. She unhurriedly took their wrinkled hands in her youthful ones and caressed the back of their palms. Their green-purple veins popped out from the stretched-out skin as she fondled them like a 4-year-old girl.

"Dadu, Dadi, please take care, okay? I don't know when the next time will be when I visit you. Keep me updated about you, okay? Please..." She smiled as tears welled up in her eyes.

After Aashna, Girisha's grandparents were the only ones who supported her when she was in the lowest phase of her life. That deepened her attachment towards them. Now that they were leaving after their brief visit to the city, she felt as if a part of hers was being snatched away from the very essence of her existence.

Standing on the platform, waiting for the train to seize speed, half-waiting for it to stop right then and there, she waved her final goodbyes to her grandparents. She brought up her hand to her ear, signalling them to call her once they reached their home., far from the city, far from their dearest teeny girl.

Stepping out from the railway station, she started walking towards the exit gate. The home she was living in, would be emotionally empty now that two major pieces of heart were gone. The traumatic memories flashed in front of her eyes as her steps slowed down in hopes of gaining a grain of confidence that she had lost back then.

"At this pace, you'll reach home after a chapter full of history would have happened." A female voice fell into Girisha's ears. Beside her was Gauri, in her car, waiting for a reply.

Before Girisha could react, both of them heard another interrupting voice, "MADAM! FREE THE SPACE! OTHER CARS ARE WAITING TO LEAVE!"

"Oh yes! We're leaving!" Gauri promptly blurted in reply. Girisha chuckled seeing their moment being ruined by a parking lot's watchman. "Quick! Sit!" Gauri giggled with her as they drove off.

Throughout the car ride, Girisha's attention was paused on Gauri's wounds. Scratch marks all over her face, red-blue bruises all over her arms and hand prints on her neck. Girisha's brain cells began sprinting. No matter how strong you think you are, there will always be a huge difference between a girl's and a boy's physical strength. Movies might show us some brilliant examples of extreme strengths possessed by women, but the reality stays intact. A man's hormonal strength will almost always overpower the woman's muscular strength. The fresh wounds on Girisha's head and Gauri's body, provided a live example for Girisha as she was lost in her thoughts.

This is when an extra energy boost comes in handy. You must either be adept at martial arts or be an ardent gym freak. Well, Girisha and Aashna were once together enrolled in karate classes, making it comparatively easier for Girisha to help herself. About Gauri- it seemed so to Girisha- that engaging in such fights was a common occurrence.

"45 minutes." Gauri's words broke the chain of Girisha's thoughts, making her realise that the car had stopped moving. They were below Girisha's building. The same place where Dhruv had initiated a commotion the previous night.

"Ummm-"

"I said, 45 minutes should be enough, right? Go. Pack your stuff. We're leaving this place." Gauri added.

"We... are... going somewhere?" Girisha was confused.

"Yes. To a safer place. Now that your grandparents are not here, you can leave this building, right? For the time being at least? If you trust me that is."

"NO! I- I trust you," Girisha uttered and left the car.

A few minutes later, adjusting the bandage on her head, Girisha exited the building's lift and walked towards Gauri's car. Settling all her bags in the car boot, she saved a translucent box in her hands.