21 | Hope That Janet Never Finds Out

Riirii X'Eaa

Riirii X'Eaa

They walked the opulent halls of the Grand Palace, while Sophia roller-skated ahead to lead the way. Jekkh was in awe of the sheer fortune it must have taken to articulate such a beautiful building. But as they continued on their trek, the walls grew more bare. Less blinding white paint, instead heading into grey tones.

"Why is it grey?" Jekkh asked aloud as she matched her pace with the emperor.

"The Grand Palace used to be dull before I took over," Kaalii said, shaking his head as he placed his hands on his hips, his curls bouncing beneath his gold circlet. "Everything was so ugly and poor looking because of the Ch'Ch-Orssa War, but since that ended long before I was born, I decided that I would upgrade everything." He sighed, clicking his tongue. "But, I unfortunately have only been able to renovate as much as I can since I have only been on the throne since I was born."

"How does that work?" Jekkh asked. Are babies being assigned planets to rule?

Before the emperor could answer, Sophia stopped in her tracks.

Cahlun's lip curled into a frown as he shrugged the strap for his blaster more comfortably over his shoulder. "How much longer until we reach your granduncle?"

"Define 'longer,'" Sophia said, smiling sheepishly as she examined a door that was on a jutted corner of the hall. She aggressively jiggled the handle before swinging it open. "I can at least give you five different time measurements: Common, Jeroaan, Erke, Waldron, or Qeet'taan time, all including time zones. Take your pick." She disappeared into the dark room, the door left wide open.

"Oh, this is quite the adventure!" Emperor Kaalii grinned, skipping in after her.

Excitement fluttered in Jekkh's heart. She eagerly stepped forward but Cahlun placed a hand on her shoulder.

Cahlun clicked a button on his helmet to turn on a light of sorts. "Where does this lead?"

"To the doc," Sophia stated, eyes squinting from Cahlun's headlight shining past her face and into the darkness beyond her. The room seemed to be a sort of engine or mechanical closet.

"Does he have a doctorate in mechanical engineering?" Cahlun asked sarcastically as he begrudgingly followed, guiding Jekkh inside.

"No, but I do," Sophia replied, not looking back at him before asking, "Please shut the door behind you. It's rude to leave doors open." Cahlun obeyed with a grunt.

"You have a doctorate?" Jekkh asked, bewildered. "I have only read of adults getting doctorates."

Jekkh heard Sophia chuckle ahead of them. "I dabble in college in my free time."

"Dabble?" Cahlun scoffed. "How much free time do you have?"

The light flashed at Sophia as she gave him a hasty smirk. "Enough to know what I'm doing."