19 | You've Got a Vial of Dirt

Riirii X'Eaa

Riirii X'Eaa

Jekkh didn't know how she slept a wink. With the impending burden of the survival of her whole race on her shoulders, Jekkh was sure she would be crushed. But no, she slept soundly as if there was no care in the world. Maybe she thought it was all a dream.

She wished it was all a dream.

Forcing herself out of the unbelievably comfortable bed, Jekkh met her mother in the kitchen making breakfast. Sophia was not helping Miaalllaa cook this time, instead chowing down on a bowl of porridge while she sat at the counter.

Sophia smiled, spoon in her mouth. "Hello," she said once she swallowed. Sophia was already dressed with perfect makeup and hair pulled into a curled ponytail. "Sleep well, Jekkh?"

Jekkh nodded, covering her yawn with her elbow as she shuffled over. "I do not know how I slept with—" Miaalllaa shook her head, eyes widening. Was Jekkh not supposed to talk about the Scope? "With all the excitement as of late." Jekkh gulped, guilt seeping into her gut. She felt like it was lying to leave out information.

It didn't seem like Sophia noticed Jekkh's pause. "You had breakfast with the Emperor, I heard."

"Yes, you heard correctly," Jekkh said, sliding into the stools beside Sophia. "It was an interesting encounter."

Sophia laughed, dabbing her mouth with her napkin. "I bet. That guy is weird."

The front door slid open, revealing Piaannnoo with a box and newspaper in hand. "Jekkh, I didn't know that my daughter was so popular." He waved the box in his hand, his gaze assessing Jekkh. "This is for you."

"Did you order something?" Sophia asked, setting her spoon down as she leaned closer to Jekkh.

Jekkh's brows furrowed. "I do not remember doing so."

"I didn't know you could order stuff to be delivered," Miaalllaa stated, cheeks flushing as she flipped an egg in a skillet. She plated the egg with some fried meat and handed it to Jekkh who took it gratefully.

Piaannnoo grunted, sliding the box on the counter over to Jekkh. "Well, here it is."

"Who is it from?" Jekkh asked, looking at the box. "I do not know how to check." She glanced at Sophia for help. She seemed like a cultured girl who knew how things went on this planet.

Sophia took the package in her hands, flipping it around to look. "Huh, looks like there's no return message. It just has your name written in marker."

"Well, I guess I'll just have to open it to find out," Jekkh decided, reaching for the box.

"No!" Piaannnoo shouted. Miaalllaa dropped a glass onto the floor in shock. "It might be dangerous."

"I doubt it's a bomb, Mr. Mialakeles," Sophia said, eyes narrowing as she examined it. "Would you like me to open it instead?"