18 | Room 54-C

Persyth

Persyth

While the 32nd Order packed up the house, Camrun and Cassehl joined Officer Rhys in the escort shuttle out of the Caretto District. Camrun looked out the window at the pained faces, dingy buildings, and smog-ridden streets, a deep ache within him realizing he may never see these places again.

Camrun turned from the passing scenery, sinking into the white leather seats of the shuttle, his gut unsettled within him. It was all so fast it felt like a dream. And he hadn't decided if it was a dream come true or not.

He fingered the button on the side of the seat, suddenly feeling warmth spread across the back and cushion of the chair. It was heated. The technology to heat a seat was available to those who could afford it, but wasn't available for the ones who couldn't afford to live without it? How many nights had he felt the icy chill of space seep into his house shuttle, only an insulated wall keeping him from the universe?

Pushing down his anger, Camrun diverted his attention to Cassehl who was very much enraptured in viewing the architecture of the City Center. He had almost forgotten she had yet to lay eyes on the tall scrapers and busy streets of Persyth's capital city.

With Cassehl's eyes glued to the window and Officer Rhys's mouth blabbering about some tall tale, Camrun busied himself by tapping the leather armrest to calm his thoughts. Mother was at their new home, no doubt bossing every soldier as fiercely as their generals. Though Cahlun was fighting an emperor for the heart of an "adorable" girl, Father was fighting with his pen. He would be writing some boring papers on how a mission went or something of the sort.

And Camrun didn't know what he was going to do. What does an assistant to an assistant even do?

They pulled up to a tall building in the heart of the City Center, sending Camrun's head in reels. Officer Rhys exited the car first so he could open the door for Camrun and help Cassehl back into her wheelchair. As Camrun neared the building, he examined the regal architecture, the expert stonework leaving him with a mystified feeling.

"A wilderbeast," Camrun breathed out, noting the well-crafted marble carvings of the famed beast of Persyth's infamous moon, Tru. Tru was a place as if designed to kill. If the toxic atmosphere didn't, the beasts or bogs would. It was the perfect place to send the highest of criminals and deserters.

"No way," Cassehl exclaimed, neck craning to catch a glimpse of the statues. "I've read about the wilderbeasts."

Officer Rhys peered down at Cassehl as he pushed her up the ramp by the stairs. "Commander Thrait has had his bouts with the wilderbeasts. He has scars to tell of it."

Cassehl's eyes widened. "I must ask him. I've only read about them and to see them firsthand...that would be an intriguing tale."

"I'll be sure to tell him your interest," Rhys said, offering her a smile as the entrance to the apartments swung open.