04 | Talks of Diets of Strictly Beans

Persyth

Persyth

Camrun flipped the page of the pamphlet, passing time in the line for rations. The Caretto District's Food and Goods store was busier than usual, probably since the results arrived for occupations the day before, resulting in residents rushing to stock up in case their applications didn't fall through. Not that they could stock up much with their ration books.

As Camrun skimmed the words on the pamphlet, hope threatened to fill his being, though he was afraid to let it. As he had been reading the voucher for the Heraldry Foundation, his confidence rose. Looking back on his school grades and honors, he hoped it would at least give him a hand in the application process. He was far from the smartest, but Camrun did pride himself in his dedication to schooling.

"Job searching, Cam?" a harsh voice called out from the other aisle.

Great. Folding the voucher, Camrun looked up at Reck, the son of one of the dock managers. Camrun hadn't seen the boy since their school graduation a few months ago, and Camrun had hoped he wouldn't see him for much longer. Reck picked on him throughout school because he was a "know-it-all." Camrun didn't try to be but figured that Reck was just insecure about his own grades.

Reck sauntered over, tossing a candy bar in his hand as he leaned on the shelf. "Did the Sentry drop you like a Krallean crow?"

"Yeah," Camrun admitted, not wanting to deal with Reck's games. "Some are built for the military while others aren't."

Reck scrunched his nose, his cropped, ash-blond hair looking green from the store's cheap lighting. "Guess you and your folks are stuck out here on the Wastes, eh?" Reck fake pouted, tilting his head. "How tragic."

Camrun pursed his lips, biting back a scowl. He wouldn't let Reck get under his skin. "We've made do this whole time. Just glad to have a roof over our head and food on the table." Camrun scooted forward in line. "You, on the other hand, might need to cut back on those Sythabars." Camrun gestured his pamphlet to the candy in Reck's burly hands. "Might get a bad sugar withdrawal while in basic training. Cahlun says the diet's strictly beans." Cahlun had been joking, but Camrun knew there was some truth to it.

Reck's lips curled into a nasty snarl. "Watch your back, Cam."

"Watch your sugar," Camrun blurted out without thinking, instantly regretting it. He pursed his lips as Reck shot a glare in his direction, shoving the candy back onto the shelf as he stormed off.

After a few moments, the line moved again and it was Camrun's turn at the Rations Desk. Usually, Cahlun or Mother had taken care of getting the rations, so Camrun felt a bit confused about what to do. There were many glowing signs with directions, but Camrun was too overwhelmed. He pulled out the family's ration book, sliding it onto the counter to an elderly lady behind a sheet of glass. The woman watched Camrun intently, pulling the book through a small slot between the glass screen and counter, shooting him a warm smile. Camrun was shocked to see she had dark hair, though it was salted with white strands from age. Camrun hadn't been this close to an Eral before. Most Persythians had blond hair, but Erals were descendants of the moon, Er. The Erals and Persythians used to live in peace on their ancestral planet, Deindrunn before the Erals betrayed their trust, the planet being destroyed in the wrath of fire. For hundreds of years since, the Erals had been partially forgiven and integrated with the Persythian society on their new home planet, Persyth, but never given the same opportunities. And here one was, serving him.

"You're Carleht's youngest boy?" the woman asked, snapping Camrun from his thoughts.

Camrun nodded. How did she know? "The name's Camrun," he replied, offering his hand to shake, hesitating as the glass made it impossible to reach.

"Zella," the woman stated, eyes smiling down at his extended hand. "It's good to meet you."

Camrun offered a small smile in return as she handed him the ration book, gesturing to the next window. "It was a pleasure."

The woman in the next stall was very different. She didn't make eye contact, even when handing Camrun his bags of rations for the week. With a shrug, Camrun balanced the three bags in his arms, heading home.

.:|:.

Camrun clicked the button, sending the application via tablet to the Heraldry Foundation. Letting out a pent-up sigh, Camrun leaned back into his chair, relieved the anxiety was finally over. For the moment, anyway.

Pushing the tablet back to the center of the table, Camrun tapped his fingers on the cold, metal surface, trying to settle his electric thoughts. He doubted he'd get in even though he spent the day putting together the application. Cassehl was sure he would get in, so she was the only reason that he even tried. Cassehl was always optimistic, even in her lack of health, but Camrun couldn't help but feel that something was going to happen—he was just not sure if it was good or bad.

No, he thought to himself, shaking the negativity from his thoughts. I can't let myself think like this. I will get a job. It may not be at the Heraldry, but it'll be something, that's for sure. Camrun would honestly take a sewer cleaner job at this point.

A ping lit up the tablet in front of him, almost shocking him from the seat. Camrun scrunched his brows at the sound. This was rather late for messages. Maybe it was an update from Cahlun or Father.

Slowly pulling the tablet closer, Camrun punched in the password, clicking on the notification. It was an email. From the Heraldry.

Hastily clicking the message, Camrun skimmed through the contents.

Dear Applicant D34-20,

we are pleased to inform you that you have passed the initial application process via study by our computer algorithm. Please select a time for your first in-person evaluation examination.

Thank you for your interest in speaking on behalf of the greater good.

The Heraldry Foundation

[This is an automated message. Do not respond.]

"I got in," Camrun breathed out, laughing under his breath. If only Reck could see him now. Well, he only got through the first step of the hiring process, but that was more than what Reck and even Cahlun could have done. The idea that Camrun could do something better than his older brother sent a sense of pride rushing into his being. Maybe his mother would be proud of him, too.

Camrun scheduled his assessment for the next day in the afternoon. Excitement rushed into his bones at the possibility of doing something great for not only his family but his people. 'For speaking on behalf of the greater good,' Camrun thought, quoting the ending of the email. That was something he always wanted to do, but had hoped it would be through the effects of the military. Camrun chuckled to himself, closing the tablet up for the night. Now he would be able to work with the Deins, the ruling council of his city. The possibilities ahead of him sent thrills into his soul. He couldn't wait to tell Cassehl.