10 | The Deins

Persyth

Persyth

"Kaence, Camrun, ID-0537-63," a robotic voice called out, awakening Camrun from his restless thoughts. He stopped tapping his fingers on the cool metal armrests, getting up to follow wherever the Chaperoid led. The lobby was empty except for him, the attendant, and a Chaperoid that matched the Persythian aesthetic perfectly. She had blond synthetic hair wrapped up into an intricate bun on her head, her skin was tanned as if she hadn't spent her whole life in an almost sunless city, and she had the brightest purple eyes he had ever seen.

Yep, that pretty much summed up the Persythian ideal, minus the Chaperoid's height. She was around as tall as Camrun so he guessed that height was something the manufacturers at BECK, Inst. couldn't alter in their renowned Chaperoids.

He guessed that the Chaperoid that was leading him was Class-L due to the stagnant facial expression and monotone voice. Class-M and Class-N were the only ones who could change their expressions and voices in a more humanoid way. To an extent. He'd seen the later classes lead tours of the shuttles that docked in Caretto, yet they still seemed rather abnormal. Maybe that would always be the case because it would be rather hard to replicate humanity.

Camrun pulled down the cuffs of his starched dress shirt, trying to stop them from riding up into the sleeves of his black jacket. The Chaperoid guided him through a set of glass doors in the back of the lobby, revealing a long, carpeted hall with benches along the side of it. On the benches was a boy and a girl his age examining him as he approached. From the looks of them, they were possibly siblings or even twins.

The male twin had a red velvet suit with a black velvet collar that looked more expensive than Camrun's monthly power bill. He had one gold earring in his right ear and too many rings on his fingers. His hair was cropped with swirling designs shaved into the side of his head.

The female was wearing a black velvet jumpsuit with a red velvet blazer on top. Her long ash-blonde hair was curled to perfect ringlets in a ponytail and presumably the other earring except on her left ear. They both had the stereotypical gold glitter dusted in his hair which gave Camrun the hint that he was observing residents of Uptown, the prestigious sector of the City Center.

Suddenly, Camrun felt very self-conscious. His nicest outfit was probably what their house staff wore if not worse. The twins probably attended Uptown Academy in the heart of the City Center, training for this their whole life. And here Camrun was, applying for his second choice for a last chance at a good life. He felt like a hopeless case now.

Gulping back the unwelcome lump in his throat, Camrun ran his hand through his mop of curls, a shaky breath escaping his lips. What have I gotten myself into? Camrun thought, anxiety creeping up into his bones. Well, he shouldn't be too worried about imposter syndrome, even if he was on the same level of intelligence as the twins, they had the money to buy their way in. But a glimmer of hope rose in Camrun's chest. He'd made it this far, hadn't he?