03 | New Year's Fiesta 2024 Grand Winner - sparklet11

Start from the beginning

Ameera's hand quivered. She mustered the remaining colour left in her soul and questioned, "Who are you? "

The woman's eyes sparked after frightening the once-gutsy girl.

"Good start, child! "

Ameera placed her quivering tray in a stranger's table, turning deaf to the caused chaos, and shifted her gaze towards the mysterious-being.

The woman clasped Ameera's hand in her palm and said, "Congratulations! You are chosen to be an Etherial!"

"A what? "

"A magical being," she declared loftily, "Ameera, this doomed mortal world is not the only entity this earth holds. "

Unconsciously, they reached the brink of the cosy café.

"Let me show you," the woman beckoned like a tour-guide and opened the glass door.

Instead of the frisky new year eve's jostling street, the mortal world was replaced by what the woman wanted to show.

Ameera turned behind to see the café door but was met with awe after seeing glistening waves of the ocean that reached her leg.

How did an ocean containing a vibrant island appear out of the blue?

"Welcome to the land of Etheria!" the woman announced proudly.

The woman gripped Ameera's hand and moved across the glistening mauve-shaded pathway. To illumine the streets more, mini rafflesia's emanating hues of bright blue and pink were suspended in the air. Ameera looked around like a lost child in a fair. Small cottages were neatly arranged on either sides of the street, energetic tones erupting the silent air from the inmates of the houses. They were in pure bliss. Pure magic.

"Is she the new-"

"She is so pretty! "

The loud murmurings reached Ameera's ears as she subdued a smile.

"Tell me now, who are you?" Ameera insisted.

"I am Ishana. The Emeralder of Luminara, a sub-kingdom of Etheria. "

She motioned the lights and the glowing city to stance the reason for the city's name.

"What is an Emeralder?" her curiosity made Ishana chuckle.

"At the beginning of every year, twenty individuals are chosen to embark a magical journey as an Etherial. And I am the recruiter."

"What does an Etherial do?" Ameera piled the recruiter with queries.

"A human Etherial, like you, will be awarded the highest position in our kingdom, an Artiria."

"These names sound made-up!" Ameera taunted as a small child ran across their way.

Ishana wasn't as irascible as she looked. She merely chortled at her remark, making way for the eager kid to pass between them.

"In that case, what if this whole world you witness, is a part of your imagination? "

"That's exactly what I am thinking."

"Then wake up, Ameera. Your parents must be searching for you," Ishana jeered.

Ameera knew everything around her was real.

Ishana smiled at her acceptance. An Etherial needs to believe to be a part of this world.

"Artiria refers to the biological word, arteries. As in, you will function like this kingdom's arteries, supplying the enriched blood to all parts of this city."