Arc 4 - 10 Not So Enthusiastic

A/N: I'm currently writing the Interlude Chapter/Lemon (Non-Canon, of course) from Arc 3 - 8.5 with Nazuna. But like I've said all this time, Lemon has never been the primary focus of this FanFic.

Anyway, here's an Illustration from Grimgar.

***

Kajiko, the head of the Wild Angels clan, was doing impressive work.

I had deliberately taken on the task of disorienting the enemy by myself to provide an easy time for both my party and the other volunteer soldiers. I wanted to increase our chances of victory. That is after learning that the frontier soldiers might have difficulty getting into the gate to aid us.

This operation has the volunteer soldiers primarily as a distraction, after all, while the frontier soldiers carry out the ultimate control into the keep. If anything was holding them back at the moment, I should at least retain as many volunteer soldiers as I could to hold the orcs within the keep. And with the thought that reinforcements from the north could come at any time, I had to lead them away from this wall quickly.

The Wild Angels were the most prominent group in the Wild Eagle Force. Most of them were stern women, and, from the looks of things, had seen their fair share of 'hell' over the course of their lives. Their performance against orcs reflected that.

The defenses in Deadhead were probably filled with powerful warriors. They were essentially on the front line to ward off the enemy. I don't know if the orcs I killed on the wall are considered average, though.

However, as a party, I'm sure Suzune and the others could easily handle a number of them simultaneously. If the frontier soldiers are truly deterred, we need to build this momentum up against Zoran the Keeper, or Abael the Shaman, and his close associates. Following the momentum isn't exactly a smart choice as they tend to have us lower our guard considerably. When it is at a low, our thoughts will be narrowed, blinding us to things that could have been easily noticed. But at the same time, overcautious is no better.

Suzune was probably aware of that risk, but with her position in this battle, she likely had no choice but to follow them. Ken was out of the question. Kanji— I can't expect much. But the rest are capable of it.

Chiaki always tries to look at things with a broad vision. She's a rationalist. Her head was better than Kikyou, Yousuke, and Kei, and she consistently gave thought to future scenarios and how to anticipate them.

Kikyou had the ability to read the atmosphere, and its effects on her and her surroundings, then tried her best to control it not only to her advantage but also the party's.

I interact with the guys pretty often, so of course, Yousuke is naturally one of those people. I knew he was the most concerned about his comrades more than anyone else in the party. I suspect he'd be willing to sacrifice his life for that. He'll think of anything to achieve that.

For Kei, I only judged her by the strange behavior she occasionally displayed.

Of all the party members, she's probably the most self-centered. That said, she exhibits signs that it's likely on purpose, and tries to manage them reasonably to not overdid. She's similar to Kikyou in terms of how well she reads the atmosphere.

Kei doesn't really mesh well with Chiaki, Kikyou, and Suzune, if you ask me. With her personality.

Chiaki was likely just putting on a front, to a certain extent. Kikyou was the same, and I assumed she had it worse since her facade was a contradiction with Kei. Suzune was a recluse. The guys had it better, in that regard.

"—that's Renji!" Kanji called out.

Taking a look at the vicinity between the northeast wall and the stairs to the roof in the southeast, I spotted the volunteer soldiers, with Renji's team in the lead, being intercepted by two sides at once— the troops from inside the keep and from the north wall. As I'd thought.

"You can go forward, Kiyotaka-kun." Suzune expressed. She sure is understanding.

I nodded. "I'll leave the rest to you, then."

"You don't have to worry."

I went ahead of Kajiko and headed to the northeast staircase with Wild Angels as well as other volunteer soldiers close to my back. The north wall was empty by the time we had cleared the west wall. I easily cut an arrow from one of the towers with my rapier. The enemy archers don't have to worry about killing their own comrades while shooting us. Getting under the wall should take care of that problem, though.

I leaped to the northeast staircase, then took another leap to land on the ground below. Kajiko, her clan, and some other volunteer soldiers followed my example.

The moment I landed, several orcs immediately whirled on me. I took a hard swing with the Butcher.

One orc had its right hand ripped off, another had its stomach sliced open, one was driven off with its shield, and the last was crippled in the leg. I glanced at my wrist for an instant. Two different colored hexagram signs were still floating. The combination of Protection and Assist, as well as the Butcher, was shockingly great.

Since I was focused on putting pressure on the enemy, I wasn't so focused on killing them outright. Just saying "There's an enemy behind you!" was the goal in this case.

"—nice! Kiyotaka and Kajiko have arrived, people!" Britney hollered from atop the east wall.

This should be the time.

When the rest of the Wild Eagle Force was only behind me, I switched my focus to slaughtering the orcs.

I used Rage Blow, Sidesweep, Wind, and Fast Thrust to take out the orcs one after another. Not a single soul of theirs could even muster a counterattack. I wasn't letting them pull that off. Within minutes, virtually all the orcs had been slaughtered in that section.

"Britney-san! What about the main gate?!" Suzune asked in a sharp voice, but Britney, who was still up on the east wall, simply shook his head.

"It's no good! It doesn't look like they've broken it! I can't see from here, but it looks like they're fighting a hard battle!"

"In that case, we'll just have to take the keep ourselves!" Kajiko grinned, spreading her arms wide. "Listen up, volunteer soldiers! The Frontier Army has put one hundred gold coins on the keeper, Zoran Zesh! Also, there are fifty gold coins on the head of Abael, a sorcerer who's killed many soldiers and volunteers with his black magic!"

"One hundred...!"

"A hundred coins!"

"A hundred gold coins!"

"Fifty coins?!"

"One hundred gold?!"

"Did she say one hundred gold?!"

"That's incredible!"

"Seriously...?!"

Arrows rained down from the watchtowers the instant after. A number of volunteer soldiers had been hit by them. But no one cares about protecting themselves. They had different eyes now.

I know that the information is originally exclusive to the frontier army but ...You're ruining my plan.