Arc 4 - 5 The New Group

A/N: I fucking hate editing. So these were the 4 Chapters worth 5.500 Words.

***

With a little grunt, I lifted myself from the bed. Ugh, Barbara-sensei's training traces still linger, after all.

She was a sadistic woman (I think) who had been made a tutor in the thief's guild. She was never merciful in any of her training. And, unfortunately, we never changed teachers.

Just the other day, if it wasn't for the unknown priest, I'd been pretty sure to have a bunch of bruises and broken bones all over my body now.

Swat and Shatter courses, which helped me become more accustomed to the style of my two weapons, were the most brutal part of my training.

Swat is a defensive technique by utilizing daggers, while Shatter is a move to strike the enemy's legs, and both can be chained with Slap or Backstab. I could do them on a basic level, at least distinctly different than someone who wasn't taught. But I've lost count of how many times I've been pummeled by Barbara-sensei's fists and wooden weapons to master just those basics. Also, there was barely any rest at supposedly break time in the guild. I was made to sleep on the hard, cold floor by the night came. There were no pillows, let alone blankets. Remembering all that, honestly, I'm getting homesick even for this run-down lodging.

The price of learning skills was pegged to how much time and know-how was given in that interval. I had used that time to learn a number of skills simultaneously. It was not uncommon either.

Backstab, a back attack that can actually be used from the front, is a great combo for Sneaking. Barbara-sensei says I have a gift for stealth. In fact, the nickname she gave me that could only be shared among fellow thieves was a deciding factor in her name decision. But it's terrible. Very much so. I absolutely won't tell that to anyone.

I knew they were necessary, though. My other companions were experiencing the same problem. Except Kiyotaka. From the looks of it, he was unusual even before coming to Grimgar. Trying to understand him was pointless, or, I didn't bother to try. I don't particularly have the burning desire to do so anyway. Well, that goes for the rest of the male counterparts.

Looking at the bed across me, Suzune and Kikyou had woken up and left before me. Kei must still be asleep, from the sound of her breathing alone.

I changed out of my nightgown, which was just a cloth with poor design, into something thicker and not overly reserved.

"Kei, wake up," I then tried to shake her body lightly. She seemed to be fast asleep. "Let's take a bath together."

"—uhnh~? Laater..." She rolled away.

I sighed. I'd better leave her alone.

I wanted to freshen up as soon as possible. Now that there are an additional 12 people besides Haruhiro-kun's 5-member party, we'll probably have to manage a certain time list for everyone to use the bathroom.

With that said, I went to the lodging house's bathroom with my toiletries and a change of clothes in both hands. On the way to my destination, I bumped into the new people. Speaking of the devil, as they say.

I've met three of them. All of them are girls.

"Ah, you must be our senior," the blonde girl lowered her head. "My name is Tsubasa, please to meet you. We're new volunteer soldiers in training."

I reflexively smiled, replying with the same etiquette. "My name is Chiaki. Nice to meet you too. As for the other two...?"

One of the girls replied curtly. "Tsubaki."

"You can call me Ichika~!" The other girl, whose appearance reminded me of Hiyomu, replied in a style no less similar to that aged lady who tried to act young. Even that smile of hers is pretty similar.

***

"Chiaki...! Why didn't you wake me up?!"

It was only after I was done bathing that Kei got up. I was only laughing. "I did try." Well, not with any effort, though.

"You should have been more forceful! I'm bored of bathing alone."

"What kind of reason is that?"

"Don't you feel bored?"

"Nope. I feel calm instead. You're loud, Kei."

"Ehh?"

"Just quickly get a shower. Food gonna get cold if you're too long."

"Urgh, fine."

Kei proceeded to the bathroom after me. The men didn't mind letting all the women bathe first. At least in my party. Does the same thing go on at other parties?

I only knew Haruhiro-kun, a fellow thief. Ranta-kun who reminded me of Kanji. Moguzo-kun the big guy. And then Yume the bubbly girl as well as Shihoru the reserved one. I've met them a few times and had a pleasant conversation each time. Only the new recruits hadn't, aside from those three girls, of course.

When I visited the dining room, which was big enough for dozens of people to occupy, I'm in for another surprise.

Tsubasa, Tsubaki, and Ichika were in the same room as Suzune, Kikyou, and four other guys. Three unfamiliar men, who I assumed to be the girls' companions, were with them as well.

"Hahh?!"

But that wasn't all.

A man even bigger than Ken was currently confronting the redhead with a grin on his face.

"Don't get into trouble now, Kazuomi," the other man angrily said.

"Shove off," the assumed Kazuomi-kun dismissed the man's hand. "This kid is intent on stirring up trouble. Didn't you see that look on his face earlier? I was only doing what he wanted me to do."

"Who are you calling a kid?! And this is all because you started it, asshole...!"

"You don't have to yell. I can hear you just fine. You really are a kid, eh?"

Oops, this is bad.

Not only Ken, but Kazuomi-kun would also raise his fist. Kiyotaka and one other guy from Kazuomi-kun's party stopped them instantly with their hands.

"Stop with it." The chilling tone of voice coupled with the expression on his face made most of us freeze. "We're all volunteer soldiers. There's no point in fighting amongst ourselves." He then turned to Suzune, who seemed uncharacteristically alarmed. The man bowed his head. "I'm deeply sorry for the trouble. Kazuomi is a violent man by nature, and he has a foul mouth in him, see. The words that might have pierced your heart earlier are an example of that. Ken-san, I apologize on his behalf as well."

Kazuomi-kun pushed the man away from him with a cluck of the tongue and a foul look on his face. But he didn't seem like he was going to make a scene again.

Ken acted a bit overwhelmed. "Y-Yeah, sure. You didn't do anything wrong, though."

Suzune regained her composure. "It's nothing to worry about if he won't do it again."

"I thank you for that," the man smiled. The unpleasant aura he had just let out had now disappeared completely. "So as not to disrupt your party's further activities, I will take my party members outside. That's what we intended to do in the first place, anyway."

"Go on, then," Yousuke smiled awkwardly, much like Kikyou. Kanji looked like a lost kid.

The other guy gave a bow to us before joining the other unnamed guy. Tsubasa said "I'm sorry again for the problem!" with an apologetic expression. Tsubaki offered a terse apology, while Ichika did neither. Looking at her overly casual demeanor, she didn't seem to care. Kazuomi-kun shot a middle finger before completely disappearing.

"That cunt...!" Ken was enraged.

"Stop it," Kiyotaka said in a tone even colder than the unnamed guy. Ken couldn't help but cave in.

I spoke up for the first time. "That was a terrific way to start a morning, huh?"