Arc 1 - 10: The Fleeting Group

A/N: You'd think there was a point in all those chapters? I'm pretty half-assed with the story, only writing whatever the hell went through my head into words. While I think I've thought far enough, I highly doubt I can follow them as they are consistently. I won't be surprised that along the way, I've thought of another idea and changed course right after that one arc ended. I mean, I honestly thought for an instant that the very first chapter's opening, when in Deadhead Watching Keep, shouldn't be added at all because I had a sudden change of heart. But, yeah, I won't change it, and I don't think it'll affect the story negatively or whatever.

***

The two of us leave for the southern district of Alterna after the first bell at 6 am tolls. It was the signal for the residents to embark on a new day of activity.

Suzune invited me somewhere. Where, I don't know.

"What's your opinion about the lodge?" She inquired.

"There weren't many issues," I responded. "Kanji complained a bit about the poor condition, but I wouldn't have said he'd make a big deal out of it. Ken and Yousuke don't seem to give much of a fuss. If we plan on sticking with the place for a while, though, I would think we'll have to incur a few extra expenses. Things like padlocks, bathroom sanitizer, cookware, and others. It will depend on our remaining comrades as well."

Suzune agreed with a nod. "I thought along the same lines. The expenditures are only initially. Once that's done, our living conditions will drastically improve from then on."

"And I doubt the innkeeper would care either. With some discussion, it isn't impossible to pull off."

Suzune sighed. "It would be nice if that's all we had to do..."

"True enough." Whether the landlord cared or not wasn't the only issue.

Suzune led us to the northern district. It was the residential and lodging quarter. She scanned the area for something, and her gaze eventually settled on a party of volunteer soldiers.

The party consisted of five people, with three women and two men. A male warrior and paladin. A mage, priest, and thief. It was pretty balanced. The party leader was either the girl with pink hair or the man with violet hair. They gave off contrasting vibes.

"Sorry to interrupt your time," Suzune took charge. The twin-tail thief noticed her first. "...I'd like to ask you a few questions." The thief diverted her attention. The other party members quickly became aware of Suzune.

"Oh? What is it?" The party's warrior asked.

Suzune introced herself. "My name is Suzune. A trainee volunteer soldier."

"Trainee volunteer soldier...? Ah, I'm Sou."

"-and here's Mako!" The priest brightly followed. Compared to most volunteer soldiers, and the residents of the town, she is pretty cheery.

"I'm Ryuji," said the paladin, bowing slightly.

"Yuki," the thief curtly responded.

The last member, the mage, smiled benevolently. "My name is Honami. I'll be happy to answer your questions if I can. But who is the man's name over there?"

"My name is Kiyotaka. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, too," she kept staring at me for quite a while, then tilting her head. "...Have we ever met before?"

"Eh?"

She awkwardly laughed. "I'm sorry, I feel like I have known you before this. I know we never met before, but, long before that, though, who knows? You get what I'm trying to say?"