Arc 1 - 8: Hours

Having fallen asleep at 6 pm, and woken up by 2 am, I quietly rose out of my bed. I went to sleep earlier, perhaps the earliest, of my three comrades. There's a reason for that, of course. But it was nothing special.

I headed out. The lodging house hallway was still lit by the lanterns on the wall, the moonlight in the faintly cloudy sky. The sight of the stars was plain to see.

Venturing beyond the lodge, I navigated the west town's maze-like ins and outs. If someone gets lost through it, they won't be held responsible. That's how headache-inducing the streets of the west town are.

West town is a slum town. Dilapidated buildings, vagrants, and seemingly criminals populated the area. The thief and dread knight guilds were located hereabouts. They told me more about the area.

The thief's guild is particularly hard to reach by... You'll most certainly be lost even if you were to take a cautious stroll in the vicinity.

I kept the area's layout in my head. I was trying to map the area. As for why that'd be done in these hours, let's just say that I wished for a random encounter.

I thoroughly conceal my existence to avoid disturbing people. I've prepared a few excuses should a guard or simply the residents interrogate me. I had carried my weapon and, my armor along. These should be sufficient to defend myself.

It didn't take long to run into a person in one of many alleyways.

The person, a lady, drew her weapon

The person, a lady, drew her weapon. A long, thin saber. Her razor-sharp violet eyes stabbed at me.

"Wait," I said, just to see her reaction. I hadn't drawn my sword, though I could have done so at any time. I'm not precisely seeking a conflict. But it was included either way. There's a thorough reason I chose this time and place to act.

"What?" The dark-clad lady didn't swing her weapon, at least.

"First of all, you're not going to attack me, are you?"

"Depends on why you're lurking about in the predawn hours."

"Well, that's too bad. I find my reason to be weak."

She still didn't seem like she was about to go on an attack.

Who is she? Her gear was neither heavy nor light. They are light plate armor, to be more precise. She had a cloak that seemed like it could hold several things inside. -Dread knight. Is she one of them? All the characteristics lead to it.

"You're a warrior volunteer soldier." She said after a short while. This lady is skilled in concealing her emotions. I couldn't tell the true feelings underneath that voice and face of hers. "Your gear is pitiful. What's your name?"

How rude... Not that she was wrong.

"My name is Kiyotaka."

I deliberately displayed my badge on the front of my outfit. That must be how she knew I was a volunteer soldier.