Arc 2 - 6 Catch Me

Honami once stated how treading the Cyrene Mines would entail cautioning for Death Spots, a distinctive kind of kobold accompanied by a four-man retinue. They're constantly wandering around the Cyrene Mines.

It was mandatory to flee the instant you encountered it. Its strength is far beyond the level of the ordinary volunteer soldier, after all. Its name alone speaks to the terror of the treatment it has inflicted on the volunteer soldiers.

Its style was hard to approach, indeed.

The volunteer soldiers' office, where Britney served, housed a number of specific orders or missions for the volunteer soldiers to pick up. It had become a favored venue for some of the volunteer soldiers. Those few missions paid good money, I admit. The Death Spots assassination is one such mission.

A massive butcher knife went flying above me. I dodged it with ease.

"...Graaaahhhh!"

I sidestepped each of its blows with the barest of movements. It had to have sensed it, because its movements grew violent. It also let out an occasional growl as if it was enraged.

Still, it really was strong.

Even the combo of Ken and Suzune as front strikers, Chiaki creeping up from the back, Kanji with his long and close range attacks, Kikyou's Magic Missile, and Yousuke and Kei's staffs would still likely prove difficult to topple the Death Spots. Not only their abilities and equipment, but also their experience must be factored in. Experience was essential because it maintained peace of mind in battle, and poise equaled great decision-making ability. With my presence, we should all be able to kill it fast. At least faster than me alone. And beneficial.

-hm?

But Death Spots' offense suddenly intensified.

I'm not blocking them directly. I had to evade more instead, however- it was time consuming.

I intended to hold Death Spots in place while I struck it from time to time. As long as I didn't hold its strikes back directly, I'd be able to kill it sooner or later. Now that had to be changed.

'There was something I couldn't get past it just naturally. With its current state, it has the possibility to reach me should I attempt to lash out. Though not by many. It had been low. So low that people would've thought "Aren't you just being overcautious?" But a possibility is still a possibility. With the absence of a priest and the likelihood of death, I wouldn't take the bet unless there was no other viable alternative, and I had a viable alternative.

I always had to factor in the reinforcements of other kobolds as well. I don't see them now, but in the future, who knew?

I leapt back, spun away from the Death Spots, and burst into a run. The Death Spots growled and rushed after me.

Running had never crossed my mind. Even if a horde of kobolds appeared, I wouldn't be without a plan. I would slay the Death Spots, and that had still been the decision. Whether I did it alone or with my comrades would depend on Suzune's side.

I'm sprinting at a speed Death Spots won't be able to match. I do know kobolds can run on their four legs. Maybe since there's no sword sheathe on its body, it'll have to discard it to do so freely. Environmental considerations were also present, but Death Spots should be capable of disregarding all of that with its extraordinary physique. ...I also have a suspicion about that sudden burst of energy. By utilizing that, there's a chance of Death Spots actually throw out its weapon to catch me.

I progressively picked up my speed.

I deliberately hopped over multiple enclosures instead of going through the passageway. Of course, I slew the creatures within while I am. The Death Spots would just violently break through them. However, if this continued, Death Spots would only lose its spirit, not its energy. That led to Death Spots shifting its focus away from me or even figuring out my plan.

That's why, as I ran on an uphill track, I twisted my entire body to Death Spots all the while still advancing. I pulled what I believed to be a provocative gesture at Death Spots- and while I had my doubts I pulled this off well- a sardonic smile. Whether I managed or not, Death Spots snapped.

"Graaaaaaahhhhhh...!"

Oh, shut up.

Do they even have their own language to use on each other?

Death Spots discarded its butcher knife, put itself on four legs, and proceeded to chase after me. That sure was fast.

Obviously, I wasn't fast enough to beat the speed of a cheetah, but Death Spots still wasn't fast enough to chase me regardless of its current state.

I circled the course of the area. Death Spots concentrated on pursuing me in a straight line by crushing any obstacles in its path.

As expected, it was a heavily relying instinctual creature. Its intelligence wasn't on par with the sharpness of its instincts. While it was still a nuisance for the volunteer soldiers, it wouldn't have been comparable if it had the intelligence to match.

The cracking sounds of fences, the cries of animals, the explosions of walls rang out everywhere. My next objective, needless to say, was Death Spots' massive butcher knife. Still, I shouldn't make myself noticeable for taking it. Death Spots has the possibility of turning out to be even more unmanageable than it is now. I wouldn't want to inconvenience myself.

-and finally.

I had always intentionally kept the Death Spots at a seemingly dangerous proximity. I also tried my best to indicate that I was overwhelmed by its speed when, in fact, I was not. By running in a detour- of course, causing damage to the enclosures while at it, I easily rendered Death Spots oblivious to the site of its initial rampage at all. Once I picked up the massive butchering knife with both my hands, I knew I'd win before long.

"Awoooo...!"

I quickly looked around me.

"Awoooo...!"

"Awoooooo...!"

"Awooo...!"

"Awooooo...!"

I couldn't see any kobolds in this section. I was in a hilly terrain, and the voice came from behind one side of the hillside. Guess I should quickly kill the Death Spots.

Alright, one shot.

I came to a complete standstill, spinning around as I swung the massive butcher knife at Death Spots' head. From the looks of it, my movement was too unexpected, since Death Spots didn't stop at all and let its own weapon slice neatly through its neck. That's not a showy way to die, but yeah, no one cares. That's just how life goes.

I avoided its still accelerating torso and grabbed its head for me to carry as evidence for my achievement. As I glanced back, I discovered dozens of close to a hundred kobolds springing up from behind the slope. Well, time to scram, I suppose.