Arc 2 - 8: Armor, Spare Weapons, and Adjustment of the Butcher

In the courtyard of the volunteer soldiers' lodging house.

"...That sure is a lot of gold coins," Chiaki laughed, seemingly out of it. She stared at me. "What would you use them for?"

The other members were naturally together as well. I responded frankly. "They'd be for a full suit of armor, spare weapons, and an adjustment of the massive butcher knife, I guess. I suspect they will take less than five gold coins. You guys can use some of them to learn skills and upgrade your equipment as well. The rest is for improving the quality of our lives."

"But you're the one who killed it, right?" Kikyou pointed out.

"If I alone had a wider range of equipment and combat preferences, it defeats the purpose of us as a party. Everyone gets a share. It's a different case if I work alone, of course."

Ken snorted. "You can already do that, can't you?"

"Yep."

Suzune gave a sigh. "If you truly don't mind, then we can use 12 days to learn as many skills as we can. Combined with equipment improvements and the like, it shouldn't be able to reach up to two or even one gold for each member. The rest we will use to improve the quality of our lives in the lodging house such as bed sheets and so on, just like Kiyotaka said."

"Should we do that now?" Yousuke asked. "Since we're still not tired at all, I mean."

"Very well," Suzune nodded. "I'll see you all on Sunday of next week here. Dismissed."

My comrades took two gold coins each. They could take an extra one if needed, specifically from Yorozu Bank. I personally thought Ken and Suzune would more likely require them. I could also give Kikyou more to expand her magic options. Or the two priests Yousuke and Kei. Or Chiaki to dive deeper into her role. Or even Kanji. Well, it's pretty much all of them.

Even with that said, I had absolutely no intention of learning skills in the guild. There was nothing of value for me to acquire. What should I do during these twelve days...? That was my main assignment to figure out.

I went to Craftsman Town to get the things I had been aiming for until now. The armor I'm using now is a type of gambeson, which is made from layers of thick cloth or wool alone. They are used as a layer under the main armor, which does not offer high protection against sharp weapons.

Originally, I had intended to buy chainmail armor made of metal rings that are fused together and can be worn over gambeson. That, or brigandine made of small iron plates fused together over cloth or leather which are of higher quality and also lightweight. Now that I have the money, though, I intend to buy a set of thick full-plate armor.

Their weight won't be a bother. It's a different matter with their body size. Hence, I decided to buy directly from the forge instead of the store. They are more expensive but much better as a result.

I had done my own research on great forges for armor and weapons. I visited one, and unsurprisingly, a full plate of armor cost 2 gold and 27 silvers.

That would be a few days' worth of work. I moved on to look for spare weapons and tools to keep them stored before customizing the Death Spots weapon to my personal preference. The name's too long, so I shortened it as the Butcher.

I bought a rapier for 74 silvers, a short sword for 52 silvers, and a dagger for 30 silvers. I also bought custom-sized tools to comfortably carry them on my body. And also their grooming, all costing 20 silvers.

The rapier is a thin, sharp-edged sword that is almost entirely used for offense. The size, weight, and double-edged are the main reasons for that. The short sword was just a sword with a short size. The dagger I bought was specialized for extremely close-range combat.