Arc 4 - 9 Approaching Dawn

A/N: I saw Kiyotaka's personality simply as a curiosity-filled kind of person. And you know how he is just emotionless, or close to one, at least. I'd like to make them develop in a not-particularly-forced manner. It's also to develop my obvious weakness in writing just basic characterization.

I like Chiaki, but I think for the past chapters, I've only written her POV as a means to show off other people's intentions, feelings, or certain events, not herself. I only realized that when I was editing this Chapter. Naturally, I do realize that the chapter is possibly still filled with them. Sorry for that.

***

The volunteer soldiers helpfully covered us as we advanced. Suzune, Kanji-kun, Kikyou, and I lent a hand when needed. Even Yousuke-kun and Kei came forward when they had to. Kiyotaka-kun and Ken-kun weren't necessary to lower their ladders anymore.

But this is kind of tough. I thought in annoyance.

Orcs are stronger than humans in general. That's mainly because they have more muscles. Every direct hit will weigh a lot., not to mention our own lack of experience and skills. To tell the truth, I was periodically petrified when I had to face even one of them. I just wanna go home.

"Kei, Kikyou, Kanji-kun, Yousuke-kun!" Suzune called out.

I noticed a thing. Many of them. They were thin objects, flying towards us.

The four members came forward and brought their shields in front of the ladder-bearing duo in response. Suzune already had her own shield, and I didn't think too many defensive shield forces for the ladder bearers would be good. That'll just become a chaos.

The rain of arrows descended.

"Eek!" "Whoa!" "!"

Several of them struck shields, and nearly all the squad was startled out of their senses instantly. I'm no exception, of course. Despite knowing that our bodies were protected by the shield, we still got scared, somehow. And us being the team of ladder bearers became all the more reason for the orcs to lash out at us harder. They aren't so stupid as to not recognize the importance of our role.

Ugh, I really want to go home, was the one thing that came from the bottom of my heart. I don't like this kill-or-be-killed activity— Something. I need to find something other than this. It's not good for my heart, for my well-being. —please. Let there be something.

By the time we were safely in front of the wall, Ken-kun and Kiyotaka-kun brought down their ladders. They had to put them together to form a four-meter-high ladder. There were small hammers for the wedges. They took one each and deftly battered the wedges into the holes of the ladder.

"Alright, let's do this, Kiyotaka!" Ken-kun exclaimed.

Kiyotaka-kun replied with a simple "Yeah."

The two of them stuck their ladders to the wall at the same time. Incidentally, our party did it faster than the Wild Angels' party— that's when something happened.

"Ooooooooooooosssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!"

Numerous deep, guttural roars, which I highly doubt came from humans, emanated from the main gate. What's happening there? I was concerned, naturally. They're likely the key to our success. If something happened to them, we might as well finished.

"—hurry up...!" Kajiko-san urged.

Did she not think of that at all? Or did she know, and drove despite knowing that? I wanted to ask her that, but time was not so kind to give us such an opportunity. I felt annoyed.

I know I tend to question everything excessively. It's a habit of mine. And I always feel extremely frustrated when I can't get the answer. Maybe that's why I developed the habit of ignoring them. My tendency to detach from reality isn't because of that, though, I'm sure. Although if you were to ask me 'what' then, I'd be at a loss for words.