Arc 2 - 1: Cyrene Mines

Kobolds

We started our second week with a change of hunting ground

We hadn't even bought our full-fledged badges, studied new skills, or upgraded equipment, so Suzune's decision appeared rash at first glance. The thing is, it's not.

I wouldn't have any problems, but if Ken kept facing off against goblins, it'd dull his critical sense. Let alone against stronger enemies, Ken may stumble against equal ones.

It was hard to call the other members accustomed to the battlefield, but they weren't so poor to let their emotions get the better of them. That was enough of a reason. In fact, that'll be the problem of the unexpected member- or probably not so unexpected.

"There!"

Ken thrust his sword at the foreman Kobold. The foreman dodged it, countering with a slash of its own. Ken recoiled. He took several slashes to his arm as he retreated. Fortunately, it had been protected by his armor. It wouldn't cause him any wounds that the priest needed to heal.

As described the other day, kobolds were humanoid creatures with canine builds. On the third floor of Cyrene Mines, they were one tier above the goblins, providing excellent progression for the party.

Cyrene Mines is located 6 km from Alterna. All we know about the place is that it's a den of kobolds of the Bosh faction, and that it has more than ten floors going down. We've already encountered a few kobolds before even venturing in, dealing with them very easily. It's all because they were greatly lacking in gear. Their maneuvers were awkward as well. I didn't need the reader to be further bored with meaningless scenes.

The mine had luminous mosses in many of its sites. They made it easier for the volunteer soldiers, and probably the kobolds, to navigate the mine.

The first floor can be traversed fairly effortlessly. The kobolds formed groups with at most four in the second level. Sadly, they were weak, much weaker than a group of six goblins. Speaking of which, to access the lower floor, the party had used a large vertical hole with several ropes in its circumferences. Naturally, Suzune mapped all of that down.

The third floor was where we came across a group of four kobolds better equipped than ourselves. Well, they were just chainmail.

The taller kobold was called the foreman because he acted like one. The three kobolds under his command we called worker, considering their weapons were mere pickaxes. They were presumably out mining. We'd encounter several on the second floor, but up there, they were visibly lesser than this group.

The minerals on the first and second floors may have been depleted, so they switched locations. Who knows?

"Don't get carried away, Ken!" exclaimed Suzune. Unfortunately, she was late.

I hadn't been particularly aware of this before, but Ken had one notable flaw.

"Get fucked!"

He got carried away very easily.