Arc 4 - 8 Began the Attack!

Deadhead Watching Keep took its name from the fact that the keep is decorated by the heads of living creatures. Some of these are relatively fresh. Some are human. I hope I don't end up in one of them.

The Wild Eagle Force hid themselves in the destroyed camps around the keep. They were the remains of the volunteer army's assaults, some of which were rebuilt or left to rot. I could make out the silhouettes of a number of orcs in the surrounding camps. Three imposing towers in the keep.

Our party will carry four ladders measuring a scant two meters. They are thick, long, and heavy. Normally, one would struggle just to lift one of them. Kiyotaka-kun and Ken volunteered to lift two at a time each. In return, they wouldn't be able to fight at all unless they temporarily put them down. That's also why Suzune was going to advance, accompanied by me and Kanji-kun, while Yousuke-kun and Kei guarded the two warriors and Kikyou backed up the rest of the party with her magic if she had to. Kikyou might have to conserve her energy in case this battle was to take a lengthy time.

There are a total of four ladders. We carried a total of two ladders, of which four were joined together. The remaining two ladders would be carried by a party of Wild Angels, protected by the entire clan at once. Why don't you do that with our ladders as well? I thought silently, but Suzune seemed completely unconcerned with that. Wouldn't carrying the ladder make us a prime target for the enemy?

In any case, Kajiko-san seemed to be ready giving the signal to attack soon. She stood up, pointing her single-edged sword forward. "Began the attack!"

The cries of the volunteer soldiers rose. I heard the same from the east and south sides as well. It's finally begun.

Yousuke-kun and Kei-kun recited Protection and Assist spells almost simultaneously and consecutively. Were the priest's chants all the same? They're just "O Light, may Lumiaris' divine protection be upon you!" and that's it.

Volunteer soldiers swarmed out of the rubble of the camps. Not a few of them cast flashy magic such as Blast, Thunder, and the like to disintegrate the orc camps right after the signal.

"We're leaving too." Suzune declared, leading at the front.

"Yeah! My body feels a little lighter!" Ken ran forward, clearly referring to the Protection and Assist that the two priests were applying.

Indeed, the instant the two hexagram marks appeared above our wrists, my body consciously felt light. Athletic enhancement, resistance, and natural body healing, huh? This will last for thirty minutes.

The volunteer soldiers were merciless. The towers of the camps were falling constantly, explosions rang out everywhere, and I witnessed many massacres of orcs who were caught by surprise. The Wild Angels, especially, already had their feathered gear covered in the blood of the enemies. I wasn't used to this brutal scene, nor was I sure about the others, but I ignored them and focused on broadening my view as much as possible on the battlefield.

If we take the members with the highest observation capabilities in the party, it comes down to Kikyou, Kei, and Yousuke-kun. In normal situations, Suzune will be in the middle and only advance when the enemy outnumbers us. Kanji-kun primarily engaged from long range, so I served as an onlooker and one who acted in close quarters within the party. My role allowed me to be flexible enough as an observer.

A number of orcs came towards us immediately. Three of them.

"Put the ladder down temporarily!" Suzune ordered.

It was a natural decision. At a mere glance, the orcs had more muscles than average humans. They weren't towering in height, but their bodies were broad. And despite the impression they left as being slow on their feet, they ran towards us at a speed that was no less fast than humans.