𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 29

"Would it not be easier to just tell everyone who she really is?"
"Perhaps. But it may not be in the best interest of her safety right now. We don't even know who exactly is after her," I avoided the hit from Aerali.
"Well, maybe but Mallie, don't you think -"
"Look, Alari, I know. It would probably make things easier, but right now, her safety is my priority. Look at our people. I don't think they will be exactly welcoming to the idea of their future queen being human."

It was the truth. I had wanted so much to claim our bond to the world. Let them know who my little Arćon really was. But it wasn't safe. Putting her in this spotlight would put her in paramount danger, something I just couldn't manage to afford right now. So this was the best next thing. Announcing her as a guest of the Royal family.

"It's almost time, you know. Mama and Papa's anniversary is coming in soon after the blood marking," Aerali sat beside Alari.
A moment of a loud silence passed as Aerali side hugged Alari.
"I wish they were here. I miss them so much," Alari whispered as a tear left her eyes. She quickly wiped it away with her gloves, a slight smile on her face.

"They're due on her birthday, you know. The twins. She would have loved them so much. I remember how she used to pester us : ' I'm not getting any younger, you know. When are you two gonna make me a grandma?' "
"And dad would just agree with her because, well, he was dad. Never dared to challenge Mama," we laughed off together.
We sat inthe silence as we watched the indigo like sunset.

Aereli and Alari's parents' tragedy was one unspoken of. Even they knew not if their true death, only what everyone else knew. Murdered by hunters. It hurt to hide the truth from them, but it was for the best. Couldn't have the last thoughts of their parents tainted by a misfortune of events. Only Azreal and I knew the truth. The truth of that night.

'It is his blood that will make us great. The answer to true power.'

I never quite understood what they meant by it. Let the thought be long forgotten, seeing as I couldn't exactly reveal what happened that night. Leaving to the armoury, with Alari and Aerali gone to prepare for tonight's ball, I bumped into Azreal.

"Well, if it isn't my favourite cousin in the whole world?"
"I'm your only cousin Azreal."
"Well, you are still my favourite."
I placed my sword back into the armoury, using a towel to wipe my naked torso. "I can't imagine you came here to tell me that. What do you want, Azreal?"

"Well, I have noticed how you have taken a liking towards the human girl in our court. I was wondering if you would like to talk about it?"
"There's nothing to talk about."
"Well then, I suppose you wouldn't mind if I took my chance," he fixed his shirt buttons.
I smirked at him, my voice low as I spoke.

"Do that, and you'll wish you never laid your eyes on her."

"Well, well. A little emotion from the almighty Prince Malachi. Or is it Nicholai that I speak to. You know, I will never understand why you continue to differentiate yourself into two different people when we all know you are just one person who is capable of true evil. Though I must say I quite miss that side of you. All the fun we used to have. With Priscilla. With Vitriax," he smirked.
I pushed him up against a pillar, holding him roughly against it by his throat, "Well, maybe you would like a brief reminder of what happens when people annoy me. Perhaps a few days of shadow limbo, " I snarled as I wavered the shadow mist above his head.
"No need, brother. I got all I needed to know."

He escaped my grip , quickly vacating my private training grounds. I made my way back up to my room, missing her. I opened the door only to find Alari helping her tie her corset. "There. Perfectly tied. You should have your ladies to assist appointed later this week."
"Hope I am not interrupting," I stood in the doorway. Her eyes locked with mine through the mirror as she brushed over the dress, white with gold embroideries. "Of course not. We were just about to leave," Alari turned to face me.