𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 28

"Did you always want to be king?" I whispered as I lay on his chest, tracing the soft skin with the tip of my finger. It became a routine, I suppose. He would show up late at night, and we would fall asleep together. Me in his arms, on his bare chest, while his fingers carrassed my scalp.

Mom and dad extended they trip. There seemed to be an issue with supernaturals seeking to cross over to the old mortal world. Earth. So they didn't really know when exactly they would be back. It was lonely after a while, being alone in the house, but I looked forward to dawn. Because he was there.

"I've never really known anything else, really. I've been groomed to become king all my life."
"I can't imagine it was much fun," I commented. "No, it wasn't. I basically eat, sleep, and breathe the role. That is, until you," he whispered the last part. Quiet but audible enough for me to hear. I looked up to find him already gazing at me. His eyes glistened from the moonlight seeping in from the lace under curtains. The usual dark stone grey flicking with soft crimson flecks.

"Why do your eyes do that?"

"Do what?" The question low and hoarse as his eyes began to darken, his body tensing as I moved. He pulled me back before I could move back.

"The red flecks. I thought royals had a blue glow," I replied as his gaze stooped down to my lips. "We do. I'm just not like everyone else."
"What do you mean?" I glanced at his lips as he pulled his bottom lip in, his sharp teeth grazing the plumb lip. He didn't say anything for a few seconds, only kept his yes on me, his arm caging me against him around my waist. "I was born dead." That was all I got before he placed me on top of him and nuzzled into the nape of my neck, "Go to sleep."

I didn't think I could. My mind was too curious about what he told me. Born dead? Royals were born, almost like us, so they were different from the vampry, who were made by being killed. So what did he mean by 'Born dead'? Though I was able to catch sleep. The rather surprising warmth from his body, soothing me like a
ullaby. And I awakened in my dream to find him there once again, like every other night.

But tonight was different. A pool of red lay beneath us as we stood in the snow, his body covered with dark shadow markings. The white dress I was wearing, stained by the red as the tips of my locs began to turn dark. 'An unforseen love of snow and death.The world be in decimation,when snow turns into wine and death laments' The long forgotten words began to spiral again.

"Malachi," I whispered as I felt myself losing my strength. He carried me in his arms as the crimson began to overtake the shadowy grey orbs. "Stay with me, Nevarah. I'm going to get you help," he begged as I started closing my eyes. "Nevarah! Stay with me Chionáti."

"Wake up, Nevarah. Nevarah?!" I heard a panicking voice awaken. "Malachi?" I asked confused, "What hap-" I stopped as I recalled our dream. "I was dying."
"Don't say that. You weren't dying. I refuse to let that happen."
"But I was. The prophecy. They haven't broken the curse yet. Have they?" His quiet was an enough response. Clarity.

"Were you ever going to tell me?!" I shouted irritated. "I didn't want to worry you."
"So you thought better to lie to me?" I retaliated. "I didn't lie to you. I just didn't tell you."
"That doesn't make it any better. I-I-I..." I started to pull away as I felt my breath quicken. "You-Y-Y..." I got off the bed. He tried to reach for me, but I hit his hand away, which probably didn't impact any pain.
"Do not touch me. Y-Y..." I held onto my chest.

"Look at me, Nevarah. I need you to breathe snowflake. Just breathe." I don't know why or how, but somehow, his voice always seemed to cool me down. "That's it. Just focus on me." I nodded slowly as he reached for me. He pulled me into his arms, his hands pulling me onto his lap. His one hand lightly traced circular motions on my thigh below the hem of my shorts, his other brushing my cheek.