Chapter 9 - Tower of Heaven Pt. 4

Start from the beginning

Kai surged his magic and the hand exploded. Kai dropped forward, but onto his knees, and found little strength left to pick himself up. He glanced up at Jellal, who could only smile.

"Perfect," Jellal said. "On your knees like the rest of the world will be soon."

Darkness swirled in his hand and it shot at Kai. Kai braced himself but a flash of silver sparked the ember of hope in his heart.

A single sword sliced through the darkness and sent it careening all around. Jellal grimaced.

"You're insane for taking on Jellal all by yourself." Erza Scarlet looked down to Kai and held out her hand for him. "Truly a Fairy Tail wizard."

Kai clasped Erza's hand and she hefted him up. Happiness quickly faded in place of utter determination as she turned to face Jellal, who held his hands up with a wide grin on his face.

"What a nice reunion," Jellal said.

"He's been using darkness magic this entire time," Kai said. "But I wouldn't be surprised if he starts pulling out other tricks against you."

"Looks like you got a few hits in."

"Took everything I had."

"Are you ready to give even more?"

"Absolutely."

Erza Requipped into her Heaven's Wheel Armor as Kai recalled his sword back into his hand and filled it with Ice magic.

"So Sho finally let you out of his little pocket dimension?" Jellal asked. "Where is that little coward, anyway?"

"He's not your concern, Jellal," Erza said. "We're taking you down, and you'll pay for your crimes."

"Yes, please keep on blathering away, Erza," Jellal said. "Just let our little Etherion timer tick on down."

A chill shot down Kai's back. Etherion. He'd nearly forgotten. Without a watch or clock of some kind he had no idea how long it'd been since Jellal announced Etherion, but, they had to be running out of time, right? Unless it was all a bluff and Jellal just wanted to push Fairy Tail forward.

Erza held both of her hands out and the swords around her started to spin.

"We'll beat you before Etherion, then," Erza said. "Ready, Kai?"

"Always ready to fight with you," Kai said.

A pit formed in his stomach. Enough with the love chatter. She doesn't need that right now.

"Me too," Erza muttered.

Kai gripped his sword, unable to hide the smile that came to his lips despite the massive swarm of shadows Jellal sent at them.

The Fairy Tail wizards sprung into action, Erza launching several swords at Jellal while Kai sprinted beneath them. Each of the ghosts took the brunt of the hits while Kai attacked Jellal, who beat Kai back.

"Photon Slicer!"

The beam hit Jellal square in the chest. Kai brushed off the hit he took and blasted into the air after Jellal.

"Frozen Sword Formation: Frozen Fist Layer!"

The single-layer magic circle shot a blast at Jellal, who swiped it aside but was slammed by an incoming Black-Wing Armor Erza. She grabbed him by the chest and flung him to the ground. Kai dropped and slammed his knee into Jellal's gut.

Jellal caught Kai's throat and had to leap away to avoid Erza's next attack, allowing Kai to kick out of the grab.

Erza shot from beneath Kai, as the three were still airborne, and attacked Jellal, who blocked Erza's blade with a dark spell.