7.1.7

Deepak was preparing the home for Deepika's welcome. He was happy she was coming back. He would make it up to her.

“Hi! Thank you for coming back, Deepu!”

He whispered softly seeing her keep her bag in her room. She didn't turn to face him but spoke in a harsh tone.

“I didn't come back because of you. This is my house too. And don't call me that.”

Deepika slept through the day. She came out of her room only to fetch something quick to bite because she was starving. Deepak who was casually sprawled on the living room couch sat up straight seeing her.

She ignored his presence just like he used to and went to the kitchen. When he saw her come out with a plate of sandwiches, he got up and said.

“Mai kuch bana deta hu. You've not eaten anything since morning.”

But his words went unheard because she slammed the door to her room behind her. Ok! So that's how she felt when he did that.

But she hadn't eaten anything. Should he check upon her? Taking a determined breath he knocked at her door.

“What?”

She snapped and he was taken aback.

“Umm-you want something to eat? I can-”

“Get lost!”

He heard her yell and took an instinctive step back. She was giving him everything back. He deserved it.

Deepika on the other hand felt bad yelling at him like that. But she had to be resolute on what she decided. If she let him off the hook so easily, he'd never realised how he'd damaged her.

The following morning, Deepika went to open the door, hearing the doorbell and stumbled back due to fear on seeing the person who had attacked her standing there. He looked torn up but the trauma was fresh in her mind.

Deepak who had peeked out from the kitchen to see who it was when he heard the doorbell, ran towards Deepika and stood between her and the man putting a protective stance.

“Woah dude! I asked you to call before showing up.”

Deepika's eyes snapped up hearing her brother's words. And here she was feeling bad for treating him that way.

But what happened next shocked her.

The man fell near her feet and stuttered out an apology.

“I-I am really sorry. I-I am ready to bear whatever punishment you have for me. Please forgive me.”

He pleaded while throwing fearful gazes at her brother at every other word. Tears welled in her eyes but she refused to cry in front of her tormentor and brother.

“Ask him to leave!”

Deepak did as asked but not without warning the guy to never show his face again.

“They won't be visiting ever again. Any of them. I broke it off with them.”

He said nervously making her snicker.

“Ofcourse you did. It's a child's play for you afterall. Forget people like they never existed.”

Rolling her eyes at him she started going back to her room to call Chirag. She needed to hear his voice. She was stopped by a soft tug on her arm. She jerked her arm and scowled at him.

“Don't touch me!”

“I-I am sorry. Wo umm-breakfast is ready.”

“Not interested.”