Chapter 7

"Attorney Song, I'm pleased to introduce you to my son Jin." Jin's father politely nodded to the lawyer across the table while he invited everyone to take a seat. Jin's father had worked quickly, getting an appointment to see the lawyer first thing the next morning.

"So, tell me what's happening. As you know, everything you say here will be entirely confidential."

Jin's father told the story. He shared about the boy, how he'd been taken away and given to another family without Jin's knowledge. How Jin's son was now back in Korea and they had reached out to ask Jin to be a donor. But mostly he shared that they wanted the boy back. That he was blood and he belonged in Korea, with a Korean family. With his own family. They were prepared to do whatever it takes.

The lawyer listened politely and took notes. The situation was rather straightforward so he didn't ask many questions, he simply nodded as the narrative unfolded.

"Well," he finally spoke, "I have to be honest, once the Korean government took away the biological parents rights there really isn't a pathway to 'reclaim' the boy. While I am sympathetic to your argument that Jin never knew about his son, it doesn't change that the Korean government transferred guardianship to the adoption agency and then the court system in the US made him the legal child of his adoptive parents."

"But does it matter that it is the US court? He's in Korea now, doesn't that help us?" Jin's father poked and prodded, looking for any opportunity they could exploit.

"Unfortunately not. There is no legal pathway for us to force the boy to be returned. I know that's not what you want to hear but it is the reality of the situation."

"What if the parents relinquished their rights? Then could we have our grandson? If it was voluntary on the adoptive parents behalf?"

Mr. Song looked at Jin's father with clear confusion. "From what you've told me the boy's family seems to care for him. Enough that they have brought him back to Korea to see if they can find a way to address his serious medical concerns. What makes you think they would willingly relinquish their rights as parents?"

"Well," Jin's father turned to look at his son before he continued speaking, "it does seem as though they want something from our family. They have asked my son to be a bone marrow donor. As you have noted, my son is under no obligation to do so. He's not even legally the boy's father. What if used that to incentivize them to return the boy to us?"

"Dad!" Jin cried out. "We can't do that. I'm not going to offer to help only in exchange for the parents giving him to us. That's crazy."

"Son," Jin's father looked at him sternly. "Listen to me well. You know that child belongs with us. He is our blood relative. He was taken away from us. Stolen. This may be the only opportunity to return him where he belongs. Are you really fine letting a stranger raise him? Are you really fine not knowing how he is being treated or if he is well? What if they are abusive or hurt him?"

"Well of course I'm not ok with that," Jin conceded. "But it feels like there has to be a different way. It just feels like it's too much."

Mr. Song cleared his throat to interrupt. "It is an interesting proposition. Donors cannot be compensated for their donation, that is against the law. But there is nothing in the law that would necessarily prohibit you from asking the parents to relinquish their parental rights to the child. And in that case the court would almost certainly find you to be the most attractive option for reassigning rights. The mother has already demonstrated that she does not want the child but as the biological family you would have the strongest case."

"Then it's decided," Jin's father insisted. "Please write up a contract. Jin will donate his bone marrow to save the boy's life and in exchange he will be returned to us. I can't imagine they won't agree. If they really love the boy that much they will certainly do everything they can to save his life."

Mr. Song sighed in response. "I'll draft something up and see what I can find out about the boy's current parents. This is likely to be very emotional and challenging. I just want to prepare you for how hard this is likely to be."

"We'll be ready, right Jin?" his father looked at him with a hard stare.

"Yes of course dad, we'll do whatever it takes to get my son back."

With a final bow they left the lawyer's office with a promise they would hear back within the next three days.

"I'm proud of you son," Jin's father assured him. "I know this may seem hard but I know we'll all be glad when the boy is back with us and we can ensure he is raised properly. His health will be restored and everything will work out."

"But dad," Jin interrupted. "Am I even ready to be a father? I mean, I'm hardly ever home. And he's already five. I don't even think the boy speaks Korean."

"He can stay with us if he needs to, and the fact that our grandson doesn't speak Korean is a sure sign that something is wrong. In no time he'll be reacclimated. Kids that young are very resilient. Don't worry so much, we'll figure it out. A year from now this will all be a distant memory."

"But dad, I haven't even heard from the hospital on whether I'm even a donor match. What if I'm not?"

"I'm sure you will be. Having your son taken away from you was simply wrong and now it's time to fix it."

"Now," his dad continued, "I thought you had practice today. You go on to the company and I'll call you if I hear anything. And let me know as soon as you get your test results back from the hospital. It will influence how we move forward from here."

Jin left for the company, his mind spinning. Everything his father said felt right. His son, his own flesh and blood had been taken from him. He had every right as a father to get him back. But negotiating with the boy's health felt so incredibly wrong. He knew the outcome would be right, he'd have his son back. But the process just felt, well, awful.

His father hadn't even seen the boy, seen him curled up, hiding shyly in the arms of his American family. They clearly loved the child. He recalled the beautiful woman gently running her fingers through his hair in a comforting caress. Encouraging him to share his excitement and passion for dinosaurs when they visited. While it was obvious that the treatment was draining, it was impossible to ignore how much comfort he felt from the gentle arms that wrapped around him and the soothing voice that supported his efforts to be brave.

He could only console himself by remembering that the adoptive family could always find another child to love. Another child to pour their affection into, but next time they would find a son or daughter that didn't already have a parent. Someone who truly needed the affection of an adoptive mom and dad. It was just an unfortunate mistake that the child they had received belonged to someone else.

No, he needed to forget about how content his son looked in the woman's arms. It wouldn't be long before he was equally happy and comfortable in his new family, or should he say his old family since he should have been Jin's first.

Now he just needed to figure out how to be a father to a five year old. That was going to be the hardest part.