I Remember

I remember running through the streets with a wide smile and smoke grenade blowing dark blue smoke

I remember running through the streets with a wide smile and smoke grenade blowing dark blue smoke. It stained my white Tshirt but I didn't have a care in the world. The wind blew through my Afro as I ran, not a care in the world... I remember scooping up a little girl and dancing with her. Mama wore a wide smile on her face while she watched me and my brother dance around in the street, she's always been our number one supporter. Mama has been there through everything and I owe her my life, I try to pay her back in happiness for raising me to be the man I am. Without her, without my brother.. I. Am. Nothing. Those streets weren't safe and I knew that even as I danced with that little girl in my arms, the blue smoke surrounding us. At that moment all that mattered to me was that she was safe and having a good time.

We all ran through the streets, purples, reds, blues, greens, yellows bled together forming a rainbow that only we would witness

We all ran through the streets, purples, reds, blues, greens, yellows bled together forming a rainbow that only we would witness... the other children plus Larry and I. I remember truly being happy, that level of happiness would fade and my nightmare would begin soon. "Hey! Turn around! Don't board that plane Laurent!"

Younger Laurent turned around with a wide smile on his face, Afro bouncing while he became painted in blue smoke. He gazed at his slightly older self who wasn't smiling but held an expression of fear yet... he continued to smile, the warning falling on deaf ears... if only he'd heard it