𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

I woke early the next morning feeling more nervous than I usually did about going to La Push like I had been practically doing regularly with Bella ever since Dakota and her pack started hunting for Victoria.

Ever since Dakota's heartfelt confession she made yesterday — revealing the true nature of her feelings towards me — I admittedly felt anxious about facing her again, regardless of my yearning to be near her.

I still felt safest by her side, and despite knowing she felt differently for me than I did for her — in a way that expressed more than a close friendship — I still wanted to be in her company, at least when she wasn't occupied with the search.

I decided for once to take my own car that morning, so I could put more use to it during spring break, and since Bella wasn't awake yet, still asleep in her bedroom.

I could've woken her so she could ride with me, but I knew she needed the extra rest knowing the little amount of sleep she managed to get through every night since finding out Victoria was after us.

Charlie had already left for work I presumed — to go out hunting for the "wolves" in the woods with rangers and his close friend Harry — so after changing into a clean pair of warm clothes, brushing my teeth, and doing anything else I needed to do before departing, I went on my way to La Push.

When I pulled up to the usual red house, Dakota didn't come outside to greet me as she normally did, making me assume she was sleeping in also.

Regardless, it was still safest that I be here, so I went up to the porch and gently knocked on the door, which was opened seconds later by Billy.

"Morning Scarlett," Billy greeted kindly. "Is Bella not with you?"

"No, she was still asleep when I left," I shook my head, walking inside the house. "I decided not to wake her — I'm sure she'll be coming by soon still."

"I see," he nodded once. "Well, can I get you anything? A drink, something to eat?"

"I'm fine right now, but thank you," I smiled politely.

He nodded once with a smile, and he slowly turned his wheelchair around to roll back into the kitchen by the entrance. He rolled his chair up to their small wooden kitchen table, where a bowl of cereal and a spoon were placed.

"Is Dakota still asleep?" I inquired.

"No," he answered hesitantly, picking up the spoon. "Sam needed her and Jake to set off with him and the others earlier than usual — Embry, Paul, and Jared came across a fresh trail early this morning beside the mountains."

"They did?" I asked nervously.

"Yep," he nodded with certainty. "Sam expects that they'll have a great chance at ending this ordeal with her soon."