𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

Nightfall soon arrived, and I waited on the side of my bed by the open window for my presumed Juliet to appear.

I grew curious to know if Edward had already come by to take Bella to their place himself and almost felt piqued to check and see if she was still in her room, waiting like I was.

Nevertheless, I continued waiting in silence as I watched the red letters of my nightstand clock tick past midnight, praying Charlie wouldn't awaken to check in on me or her unexpectedly.

In that instant, I turned to face one of my pine drawers, where my eyes landed on one of the bottom drawers — a drawer I hadn't dared to open for a while.

Feeling a sense of easement to do so, knowing that they were all back, I stood up from my bed and walked over to the dresser, pulled open the drawer, and looked inside.

There I saw the folded-up photograph of Alice and I from summer break in the forest, a shriveled-up flower she picked for me months before she disappeared that I couldn't get myself to toss away, and beside that was the silver heart locket, still as shiny as the day I found it.

I reached into the drawer to grab it and pulled it out as the silvery chain dangled between my fingers.

I held it in my palm for a moment as my eyes examined it, and reluctantly pulled open the locket, seeing the two photographs of me and Alice in each heart frame.

A soft smile spread over my face as I gazed at the pictures, feeling grateful that I now felt happiness from looking at them instead of agony from her absence.

Suddenly, I broke my gaze when I heard the rustling thump of the spruce tree behind my house.

I jumped as I turned to look out the window, and saw Alice lithely balancing on one of the thick branches of the tree.

Slightly startled, I slammed the locket shut with my fingers and held it firmly inside my hand as I rushed up to the window.

"Is the coast clear?" Alice asked, quiet enough so that no one else but me could hear.

"Yes, Charlie's been asleep for over an hour now," I whispered out the window.

She then gracefully lept from the branch through my window, landing lightly on her feet with little to no sound.

"I missed you beautiful," she chimed through a grin.

"Me too," I timidly smiled.

"Are you ready to—"

She cut off her words before her eyes abruptly looked down at my fisted hand. She reached over and gently lifted up my hand before turning my closed palm upwards.

Her slim, cold fingers pulled mine away to open my hand, revealing the locket I had hidden in my grasp.

My face flushed red, realizing I never revealed to her that I found the letter and locket she left behind in her bedroom of their semi-abandoned house. I now worried she would view me as crazy for finding it amidst my grieving period.