Chapter 26

I just want to clarify with everyone - Spencer did not propose to Sam. He just said he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her and all that good cliché stuff.

Oh and i'm the worst for not updating. Kill me if you want. Okay here's the new chapter:

I walked up to Amber's door and knocked.

A boy around 7 came to the door. "Who are you?"

"I'm Amber's friend, is she home?"

"Did she invite you here?"

"No, I just need her for something importa-"

The little boy slammed the door in my face. I heard some muffled yelling, then a loud, "MATTHEW!"

Amber opened the door with a fake smile on her face. "Sam! Sorry about my brother, he's a big pain. So what's up?"

I lost it. I just started crying and crying on her shoulder, I don't even know how long we stood in the doorway. After a while, Amber pulled my arm inside her house and into her room.

"Honey, what happened?"

I debated whether or not to tell her about it, but I thought, screw it. I spilled.

"But... why were they going to give you away?"

"They said they weren't ready. They wanted me to be with parents that were prepared. My mom was pretty young to have a child."

"Then you understand?"

"No!" I suddenly yelled. "I don't understand how they could even think about giving me up! They just never considered how miserable I would have been my whole life, wondering why my own parents didn't want me. Is that it? I guess that's it. They didn't want me."

Amber stared at me for a second. "And that's where you're wrong. That boy you saw downstairs? My adopted brother. It was not a closed adoption, so we met his biological parents last month. They were some of the nicest people I've ever met, and I wondered why they gave him up. I decided to pull aside his mother and ask her. Her response was 'I was too young with no money and I couldn't have a little boy without a home.' She was just trying to protect him, Sam. That's what your parents wanted for you. But they decided you would be better off with your own parents. Aren't you glad they didn't give you up?"

I thought about that for a second. "Yeah, I guess I am. Thanks, Amber."

She smiled. "Want to go talk to your parents now?"

"Not yet. I have a few questions for you about your brother."

She gave me a confused look. "What about him?"

"Well, my mom wanted to adopt a baby boy, so-"

"OMG SAM YOU'RE GONNA BE A BIG SISTER!" Amber shrieked, jumping up and down. "I can tell you so much about having an adopted brother, OMG this is gonna be awesome!"

I laughed. "Thanks, but you're right - I overreacted and I should go talk to my parents. We'll talk tomorrow?"

"Sure."

We walked downstairs and I left. Josh was still waiting outside of her house, leaning against his car. "You ready to go?"

"I thought you would have left. I was gonna call a cab."

"Well, it's a good thing I stayed because you left your phone in my car."

My eyes widened, and I looked through my purse. "I could've sworn I had it," I muttered.

He laughed. "No point looking in there, I have it."

I turned to him and he had my phone in his hand. "Gimme that," I said as I grabbed it and got in the car.

He laughed again and we drove home.

When we got home, I ran up to my room to avoid my mom. I flopped on my bed and fell straight asleep.

I woke up from a knock at my door. "Who is it?" I asked groggily.

"It's mom. Can I come in?"

"Uhhh.." I stuttered. "Can I have a minute?"

I rubbed my eyes and heard a sigh from my mom. "Sure honey," she said.

I blinked a few times and looked at my clock. 11:26, it read. I hate naps. I sleepily walked to the door and turned the handle.

My mom stood outside my door with a cake that read, I'm So Sorry! She had balloons attached to the plate and confetti everywhere. "I'm so sorry, Sammy. I truly am."

My eyes widened and I hugged her. "This is amazing," I whispered into her shirt.

She laughed and said, "It's all for you."

"Us," I corrected. I laughed and wiped away a tear. "How did you have time for all of this? And how did you knock?"

"Well, I went to the grocery store while you were asleep and I used my head to knock."

I laughed again and we went downstairs to eat the cake.

I'm the worst.

I'm the FRICKIN worst!

Kill me if you wanna. I probably deserve it.

How long has it been??

Well, updates will never take this long again (hopefully).

Bye for now bookworms!

With love, JLB175

P.S. If you didn't know, I deleted my other sorry so that I can 100% focus on this one.